tool rest compatiblity

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
O mounted the Wolverine tool rest on( below) my Rikon grinder. It works great for what it does but. Darn there is always a but.
I want a smaller more traditional tool rest for initial bevel grinding. The Wolverine it too deep to allow a clamp on guide on the iron/chisel etc. I was looking at the veritas. I don't see where it could be mounted without conflict. I am surprised Wolverine does not offer a smaller traditional rest as an option.

Any advice/suggestions? Anyone designed a set-on platform for the flat rest?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes, I was looking at the Veritas kit. Amazon direct rip-off too. My question is how to deal with it AND the Wolverine mount. Can the base be mounted to clear the Wolverine? In a perfect works, I woudl have another grinder, but I only have space for two. My 6 inch I keep a rough wheel for hacking around the shop and car with a wire wheel on the outside. My 8 Inch RIkon has the Wolverine, which I very much like. Hyst not for rough first grind when something gets nicked.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I guess I could make a mount for a steel rod mounted from the sides. Then just need a clamp for the blade that could run along it.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since the Wolverine arms are overly long for my use, I cut them off. On one of those 'scraps', I had a flat plate welded and then bolted the Veritas chisel platform. Two issues: 1) the Veritas platform gap is too narrow to fit around my CBN wheels, and 2) the adjustable arms are easy to 'deflect'. For the first issue, I just use in on my old grinder (with the wolverine mount) with AO wheels. For the second issue, a light touch is required.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think the strait rod makes sense. A clamp should not be hard. As long as I use a slight crown ( or move to a CBN with a crown), It should be OK.
Thinking about it, the groove for the clamp in the Veritas and clones is not really important. Just a strait edge and a flashlight.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I too had problems with the wolverine rest. I have found out that they also make a smaller rest. Haven't bought one yet, but it's on the list.

Pop

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

85DF5830-17DF-488A-8AB7-FAA9FF56BA12.jpeg

DD24DAF7-428D-4542-ACE1-3874931A5FF1.jpeg

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have/use a robo rest. It is a flat rest with fixed angle options.

Scott H

Scott
User
The small wolverine tool rest has a curved edge toward the operator so depending on where you want to register the guide it could be a problem.

one_wol_min_pla_ass_new.jpeg

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
My problem was trying to pivot a rounded skew on the large wolverine rest. The small tool rest would solve my problem. I don't think I've understood you're problem yet.

Pop

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
A shallow enough rest with a strait edge for grinding FLAT chisels, irons, etc. Rough primary bevel when one gets nicked. The Wolverine rest is so deep, there is no way to put a clamp on the tool being sharpened. Note the Veritas and the Amazon one have the clamp running in a slot very close to the wheel. Don't really need the platform flat as it is the edge to wheel to clamp edge that sets the angle.

Had a thought, if the Wolverine stage is very parallel, or I can file it so, then if I pull it back and the clamp rides on the near side of the wheel, it may work for smaller tools. Not wide enough for wide irons as I woudl want the registration surface at least twice as wide as what I am grinding.

Better I guess is to order some 3/4 box and a bit of drill rod and make a mount that slips into the Wolverine bases and gives me a long strait edge.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have both the Wolverine and the Veritas setup on my grinder. I just moved the Wolverine back a tad and the veritas is installed in front of the wolverine
I used permanently mounted studs that the Veritas fits over and two wing nuts secure it
I can send photos when I am back home tomorrow

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS