Tool Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSuther

New User
Stan
I recently helped a friend sell his house so that he and his spouse could go full time in their RV (!!!). Obviously, they had to clean out lots of stuff. I ended up receiving a couple of nice old saws, one a Disston back saw, and an old chisel. I've cleaned up the back saw and chisel. Here they are so far. The chisel back was fine and flattened OK with no pits. The saw cuts fairly well with a somewhat dull crosscut pattern. I'll probably give it a good sharpening when i find my rount tuit. The other saw is a little non-branded panel saw, maybe a kid's size, although the quality looks pretty good. Have not worked on that yet.
Gloat_Tools_001.jpg

View image in gallery

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Nice find Stan, and you can't beat the price. So you have trouble keeping up with your round tuit too?

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Both the saw and chisel look pretty nice from here. I'd say you did good!! :icon_thum

What make is the chisel?

Chuck

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Nice score!

Sounds like they are off on an adventure. Did they have room for other hand tools or will they be toolless?

Jim

SSuther

New User
Stan
The chisel is a Greenlee. I'd accumulated a few other Stanleys of other sizes, so that's a nice addition. The RV-ers were not woodworkers, just had a few old family hand-me-downs to clear out. Their tools are for maintaining the RV. My wife and I have talked about my friends' plans, and agreed that we would probably kill each other if confined in a small space together like that. My shop is a "marital aid" in that it allows us some needed space, along with its other benefits:icon_thum.

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
Greenlee made some nice steel. I have a couple of them and the 3/8" is my go-to at that size.

Congrats!

And you can't have too many backsaws. If I were to ever develop "a problem" around a tool it would be backsaws. I only have five, so I"m not at problem stage yet. I need to add a zero to the end of that before I'll admit I have a problem. But right now I don't. Really. I can stop at any time. Just like Stan. Right, Stan?

AAAndrew
Who used to think that one more than you need was a problem. But I got over that.

SSuther

New User
Stan
I stop after every purchase... until the next one!

Greenlee made some nice steel. I have a couple of them and the 3/8" is my go-to at that size.

Congrats!

And you can't have too many backsaws. If I were to ever develop "a problem" around a tool it would be backsaws. I only have five, so I"m not at problem stage yet. I need to add a zero to the end of that before I'll admit I have a problem. But right now I don't. Really. I can stop at any time. Just like Stan. Right, Stan?

AAAndrew
Who used to think that one more than you need was a problem. But I got over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS