Tool Gloat - or maybe "When do you know you have too many planes?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
OK, that last part is a trick question because we all know that you can never have too many planes! - or can you?

I'm trying to become a more active member of the site, so I should introduce myself. Hi, I'm Jeff, and I am a tool addict!

Anyway, I am finally getting my shop set up again after getting divorced, moving to a rental house, buying a house, and getting remarried. It is exciting to be ready to create things - hopefully more than sawdust!

So, tonight I am rummaging through my still unpacked boxes in the shop, looking for my sharpening supplies. Yes, I admit I have many unsharp tools!:no: I hope to change that. I pull out a box that I haven't seen in years. Ahh, some very nice planes in there. A L-N 164, a very good 603, and yet another L-N box. Hmmm, I pick it up and discover a NIB L-N #4 that I didn't know that I had! I mean, didn't know to the tune of having bought one with the high-angle frog for Christmas in anticipation of getting the shop up and running. The thing has never been opened! OK, the box had been opened, but the plane is still in the closed plastic bag. I either have tool elves, or one idiotic brain!:dontknow: It's like finding a $20 in your jacket that you haven't worn in a year - but better. The only sad part is that I really fretted over buying the newer #4 as the things don't come cheap.

Just thought that I would share my strangest tool gloat yet.

M

McRabbet

Jeff,

Welcome to the NCWoodworker -- I'm surprised that no one has posted to your thread, but perhaps it is because it really belongs in the Who We Are thread -- I'm posting my welcome and will move it. Sounds like you've got some tools to unpack and a shop with an incomplete setup -- lots of hand tool users here and I'm sure you'll enjoy the site.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Welcome Jeff! You have some great planes there :) Just like potato chips, you can't have too many.

Glad you joined us as you unpack them.

Jim

James Davis

New User
James Davis
All those L-N planes and those 6-0-_ models that you have there have probably gone bad and need to be sent out for testing. Send me a PM and I will gladly forward my contact information. Considering all the work that must be done [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] to them it will only take about 3 years for me to get them back to you.:rotflm::rotflm:

Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing pics of these things and projects as they come along.

James Davis

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Jeff!
Thanks for finding the L-N No. 4 . . . couldn't remember where I put it :rolleyes:

Roger

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome to the group! You are not alone.

I was putting away a new to me draw knife yesterday and found one I had put up and forgot about.
:rotflm:

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Welcome to the group! You are not alone.

I was putting away a new to me draw knife yesterday and found one I had put up and forgot about.
:rotflm:

Mike,

You evidently had the first one in a good place to keep drawknives. :rotflm::rotflm:

James

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks all for the welcome! Mike has made me feel a little less foolish - and forgetful. Now before anyone gets the wrong impression, it isn't like I had boxes of Lie-Nielsen planes to unpack, just the one small one. I toured his factory a few years ago. A kid in the candy store. I recommend it for anyone into hand tools. I feel fortunate to have a few of his tools because they work so well - and they just look the part!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Tool junkie???? I wouldn't know what that means......I do love my hand planes, and I am always in the market for another......

Welcome to the site, but you must POST PICTURES!!!!! Unless we see a picture of it, and not the one from the manufacturer's website, your gloat is imaginary. The proof is in the pudding. ;-)

Welcome to NCWW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors