Tool Gloat & New shop Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Well I finally got around to building a much needed wall cabinet for my shop. I used the Poplar Ply from HD ($29/sheet 4'X8') and some scrap pine. The plywood cuts and machines real well. The dado's are 11/16ths on Freud dado set w/one shim...and they fit perfectly. The carcass corners were made with offset dado's and the partitions w/full dado's.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=11630&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent

The doors were made from scrap pine and tempered hardboard w/stub tenon construction and no-mortise hinges. I used a french cleat to hang and I installed a 36' under counter light that gives me some much needed light by the lath.

Overall I'm very satisfied w/the poplar ply from HD and will most likely buy some more for some additional cabinets.

An additional surprise came when the UPS guy showed up with a brand spanking new Makita 18V Hammer drill. LOML had been entering the HGTV Pro weekly contest for about a year and she won the hammer drill. I Guess I need to stop needling her about wasting her time on those silly contests.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=11627&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thats a great lookin' cabinet, Dan!!!!:eusa_danc

I have looked and searched for that poplar ply in our Cary/Apex HD and Lowes and can't seem to find it!:eusa_doh: The only stuff I see is that "stinky blondewood ply" and birch and oak ply that is a total disgrace!!!

Oh ya! Great deal on the Makita! Wish LOML would enter some of those contests!!!

Thanks for postin' the pics!

Wayne

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Nice cabinet. I am using poplar plywood I got from HD to make my flip top cabinet for my sanders. So far like it better than anything else thats affordable to use for shop cabinets. I can not waste money on the over priced oak or birch they sell.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is the LOYL gonna let you use her new Makita hammer drill?????

Nice looking cab. I wouldn't have guessed pine from the pics. I like the hardboard panels, they give it nice look.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nice cabinet, and YOU SUCK on that drill. FREE??? Oh well.

BTW, I use the top of cabinets for tool case storage as well. Seems to be a good place to keep them to me.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thats a great lookin' cabinet, Dan!!!!:eusa_danc

I have looked and searched for that poplar ply in our Cary/Apex HD and Lowes and can't seem to find it!:eusa_doh: The only stuff I see is that "stinky blondewood ply" and birch and oak ply that is a total disgrace!!!

Oh ya! Great deal on the Makita! Wish LOML would enter some of those contests!!!

Thanks for postin' the pics!

Wayne
Poplar ply is located near the fencing materials in HD in Walnut Street store. Almost at the back of the store. Look for a big stack of potato chips pretending to be plywood. That's it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Look for a big stack of potato chips pretending to be plywood. That's it.

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: So that is why they don't stack it up with their "fine cabinet grade birch ply"

Will have to check it out though, Bruce!

Thanks,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS