Tool Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Gorgeous, but come on now!!! You have to give more close up shots and some of the details.

Dimensions? How did you make the boxes? How did you do the foam stuff for those tools in the drawers, etc, etc, etc!!!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The cabinet looks beautiful, but I see one problem in it. There's not enough room in it for more tools:gar-La;.

striker

New User
Stephen
WOW folks, I was shooting for an “Atta Boy” or two. Your response is a bit overwhelming. At 11 pm last nite the photos were ok, today they really suck – sorry for that. I’ll work or more & better pics tonight.

As for the cabinet, the physical size is 36w x 39h x14 d. My 36” rule was going to fit one way or another! Bigger is always better but space to hang it is tough find for me. I wanted full depth drawers but didn’t want to give up the hanging space on the door interior. So I offset the doors giving me 3” depth toward the top and 1” depth over the drawers. The “saloon doors” and cubbies are concepts borrowed from the FWW /Gary R?? tool cabinet.

The door handles I didn’t know what I wanted until I put it together in a preliminary run. The piano hinges allowed the doors to sag a little which made center gap uneven top to bottom. At that point it was a damage control to hide the ugly seam.

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments.

Stephen

M

McRabbet

Very nice cabinet, Stephen, but I think you need to keep the doors closed all the time to keep sawdust and shaving out and for everyone to admire your beautiful creation!! And that way, you can box up all of those tools -- I especially like that nice L-N plane up top -- and send 'em my way... :gar-La;

BTW, did you use a French Cleat to hang it?

striker

New User
Stephen
I took a few more photos tonight which hopefully will show a little more detail and answer some of the questions posed.

door handle detail

100_02201.JPG
door_handle11.JPG

door_handle2.JPG

Drawer
drawer1.JPG

100_0210.JPG

empty_drawer.JPG

saloon door catch
1catch_detail.JPG

100_0222.JPG

cubbie insert w/ extra knob
100_0213.JPG

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
That is mighty impressive! Very beautiful and functional! Great job! I hope my skills get to the point that I am capable of work like that! That sort of project has always been on the top of my list......

striker

New User
Stephen
Just to answer a few of your questions..........

• The finish is amber shellac over natural cherry with BLO. I put the cabinet in the sunlight at every opportunity I had before going up on the wall. I don't believe the color shellac imparted much difference in the final result. The BLO adds the depth of the figure in my opinion.
  • French Cleats hold it on the wall. they are full width top and bottom.
  • I have a Leigh dovetail jig but I don't think I'm smart enough to use it! I prefer to handcut the dovetails in which there plenty of practice here.
  • Cutting the foam inserts was done with a exacto knife for the most part. Carving drawer insert I spray glued the foam to a wood backer then used a molding head on the table saw to cut 1 inch slots (I don't think it will be in any textbook ..not in the safe practice section anyway)
  • The door handles started out as a roughly 2x3x 40 inch piece. I used a molding head in the TS to create the inside shape of the handle on both sides of the length of material, then split the length in half leaving me with 2 rough "J" shaped handles. Using a large roundover bit I routed the outside of the "J". From here, it was just wasting off what I didn't want to use as handle.
Oh , here's a peek at this past weekends messing around. Not too much of a turner....
1ornaments.JPG

Last edited:

SRhody

New User
Stacey
Striker,

Thanks for the details! Now I need to only: get more tools, get the wood, get more tools, find a place that has 30 hour days, get more tools, develop more patience and oh yeah, more cool tools.

This is more impressive with each picture and detail. Something to be proud of and handed down thru the generations.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Stephen:

Did you also use rare earth magents? It looks like there are two of them in the close-up photo of the cabinet opened up.

Doug

striker

New User
Stephen
Thanks for the compliments, once again guys.

Doug,
You correct, the 2 magnets hold the doors shut. 2 washers in the doors meet up with the magnets. For less than a buck problem solved.

Stephen

sapwood

New User
Roger
:err: Er, overwhelming comes to mind.

Thanks for sharing, especially the delightful details :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors