Tool Cabinet- Finnnnnnalllllyyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well it's only taken me 5 years but I finally finished my tool cabinet today. I started this in the very beginning of my woodworking adventures and it has been "pushed aside" many, many times as other more urgent or more interesting projects came along. Sooo... I finally got tired of moving all of the pieces out of the way to do something else and committed to finish it. To say it was difficult would be an understatement only because over 5 years I've changed the plans and made many, many, many mistakes along the way that just seemed to amplify as I got closer to the end. Having said all that, I'm pretty happy with the final project and I'm pretty sure it'll last me at least until I get the desire to build another (heaven help me!)

It's made out of red oak (some of it just a little curly) and beech. The handles are curly maple and wenge. The inside is custom outfitted to fit most of the hand tools I currently own as well as having a little room for future expansion. Sometime this weekend I'll load it up and post some pics of it with all the tools inside.

I'd like to thank some folks who helped along the way, Rick Dinardo for the use of his belt sander and helping me source some of the qtrsawn red oak. Pete M for helping me hang it today (and also thanks on the plywood) and all the visitors to my shop over the pass couple of years that kept pestering me to finish it! Enjoy!

tool_cabinet_2_005_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

tool_cabinet_2_001_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery
tool_cabinet_2_011_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Mike, That's waaaay too nice for the shop. Looks great. I like everything about it, but the handles add the finishing touch.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
It's a beautiful cabinet Mike. And congratulations on getting it finished. I'm looking forward to seeing it filled w/ tools. :icon_thum

Bill

Robert

New User
Robert
The grain in the panels on the doors and the side looks really nice, you nailed it.

How did you hang it, french cleat? screwed? Just curious since the weight of the tools will add up fast.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Salem-

The panels are shop sawn veneer at ~ 1/8" thick glued to mdf as the core.

Robert-
It's hung with a massive French cleat with (3) 3" long lag bolts anchoring the cleat. That's on the top. I also have 1 #10 x 3" screw anchoring the bottom just extra insurance. It's pretty solid and was a breeze to hang.

Thanks everyone for the kind words so far

eyekode

New User
Salem
Ah, that makes sense. They look great! How are they attached the rails and stiles? They look too thick to be dado'd in... Just a precision fit?
Salem

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mike,

Looks great, fantastic work. Wasn't this what you were working on when I first met you? Are we going to wait another five years for the photo to see it filled with tools?;)

Matt

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Beautiful! Way too nice for a workshop. At least, a workshop like mine - yours looks much nicer :>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS