Tool belt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I've been lurking around in the background for a while now and have a question to ask. Are there any sort of specific maintenance practices that sould be done to a leather tool belt such as oiling. I would like to have a new purchase last for a long time. My only concern would be that adding something such as mink oil would only soften the leather to the point where it would gouge too easily or possibly assist in the corrosion of tools resting inside of it. Any thoughts are always welcome.

Thanks
Jesse

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would do either nothing, or use mink oil or another leather conditioning formula. I don't think that you are going to soften the leather much, but will be providing it moisture which will help it last longer. Leather is skin, treat it like you would your own.

MTCW,
Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I agree with Dave on treating it, if you are going to treat it all. I have a belt that is twenty years old and has been in a damp basement, a garage that's neither heated or cooled, and has even been rained on and left outside on occasion and It's still in good shape without anything having ever been done to it. But, I do not use it day in and day out, if I did I would probably use a leather conditioner occasionaly.

Good Luck.
Jimmy

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I'd also treat it with something.
Animal oils can turn rancid according to the people I put my trust in on such matters. One of my friends owned a large outfitter in the area. I use what he recommended, the synthetic preservative SnoSeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS