TONS of this phenolic material you can buy real cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I received this offer this afternoon and thought to pass it on to "my wood working buddies."

The "phenolic material" is the stuff they may Zero Clearance Inserts from (well, maybe not the 1/4" stuff).

"If you ever want to drive a truck here, I've got literally TONS of this phenolic material you can buy real cheap, for all kinds of uses... work table tops, jigs & fixtures, furniture, etc. several thicknesses from 1/4" to 1".

"Maybe you and one of your woodworking buddies could make the trip... NE of Atlanta about an hour."

If you want his contact information, please PM me here as I do not feel comfortable posting his email or phone etc. 'in the clear' on the net.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would like some if somebody goes but not enough to make the trip and certainly not tons.

I like 1/4" inch for knife handles and 1/2" for jigs.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
depending on cost, I'd be interested in some to play around with and see what uses I could have for them.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Your address appears to be Lenoir and I'm near Hickory. At this time I cannot send you a PM unless you change your settings, you may have to contact the administrator. I'm very interested in some phenolic material, and perhaps Pony Express some at the Mid Winter Blahs Picnic on February 23.
If you are unable to PM me, my email is www.scrollsawbruce@gmail.com

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
+1, would love to have it at the picnic as that would be an easy way to pick some up.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Have any of you had any luck contacting Charlessenf? PM unsuccessful as I receive the message he is not authorized to send or receive PM's. Hopefully he'll send me an email shortly. Just curious.....:confused:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
From what I got out of the initial post Charles doesn't have the material. It seems someone he knows that lives in or near Atlanta has it and contacted him to offer it up for sale if he was willing to drive there to pick it up. So without knowing what the friend considers "real cheap" it may not be too cost effective to drive to Atlanta to pick up some of the material unless you were getting a lot of it. Also would help to have examples of what sizes the various thicknesses come in. Are they full sheets, if so what size? Are they offcuts/leftovers from some production process? Could be like the 1/4 BB some of us picked up a few years ago that were offcuts from cabinet backs I believe. :icon_scra:eusa_thin

B.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Most of his posts over the last year have been "Found for Sale/Hot Deals" and only a few posts in the other forums here. That seems strange to me, but whatever...

Have any of you had any luck contacting Charlessenf? PM unsuccessful as I receive the message he is not authorized to send or receive PM's. Hopefully he'll send me an email shortly. Just curious.....:confused:

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I just emailed someone from NCWW Forums.

I (Charles) do NOT have the phenolic material. I was working with the company that makes things out of it and the owner made the offer I repeated here to return a favor he did for me.

I am sorry I cannot do PM and really do not understand why not - someone wrote that I would need t take some sort of action before I might PM and I've been too busy to explore that option to date.

I do not have any information beyond that stated in my initial posting. I have emailed some of the comments here asking about quantities, sheet sizes, prices etc. suggesting such information would be most helpful all around.

My apologies for any confusion, my intention was only to share his offer as he suggested to an audience he thought (woodworkers) would be interested.

If there is someone in the group that could coordinate an order, perhaps I could put that volunteer in direct contact ?? Maybe someone central to those with and interest in phenolic lots.

I hope this helps 'splain things better.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
"...That seems strange to me, but whatever..."

Long, long ago I was advised it better to remain silent and be thought 'strange' than t open my mouth and remove all doubt.

Woodworking is not my prime directive nor has ever contributed much to my income. Hopefully, thus, I may be forgiven for any failure to inundate these forums with Charles' thoughts, comments, projects and such.

I mean no harm.

Last edited:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the clarifications Charles. If you could get in touch with your source, would he provide a cost as to what he calls real cheap? for example how much would a 24"x36"x0.5" sheet cost, so we can get some perspective and determine the costs in order to make a trip to Atlanta?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Likewise, no harm intended by me either. Thanks for clarifying your position and it's no longer "strange to me" but just your choice and that's fine.

"...That seems strange to me, but whatever..."

Long, long ago I was advised it better to remain silent and be thought 'strange' than t open my mouth and remove all doubt.

Woodworking is not my prime directive nor has ever contributed much to my income. Hopefully, thus, I may be forgiven for any failure to inundate these forums with Charles' thoughts, comments, projects and such.

I mean no harm.

Last edited:

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Q: " for example how much would a 24"x36"x0.5" sheet cost"
A: "A piece that size would be about $25 - cash. Very negotiable if you were to get several pieces. Surface color varies."

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
If "3/8 x 11 x 15 is $29.95" is correct retail Amazon price, one might calculate the $$/SQIN at retail for a single piece to get a base line.

However, It does NOT appear that there is a GROUNDSWELL of interest in any significant quantity. I do not want to serve as the organizer/go between.

I did ask someone to feel out potential candidates for such a service and have heard Zilch in response.

For my part, I 'tested the waters' and found no phenolic fanatics rushing in with orders sufficient to warrant driving a Ford Focus to Georgia.

I would bet a 14' U-Haul would cost around seven hundred dollars including gas to and from the GA Line. So teh trucking on the 2' x 3' half-inch slab would run about $140/SQFT - more if you had to compensate the driver or buy him/her a meal or two. Let me BOW OUT and leave this to the next guy. Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors