Tongue Drum ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Hi all -
Been some time since my last post. Got the latest wood magazine and saw the plans for a tongue drum. Got me interested and went to www.toungedrum.com as was amazed at how these things sound!!
Anyone out there bulit one? Got any advice??
Thanks
quidnon

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I just finished one from the Wood plan and it didn't come out right. One of the large tongues buzzes and the one on the right is flat. The short ones sound very good. I followed the plan and used paduak from Woodcraft. Totally clear wood. One thing I noticed is that you don't get any sound until it's all glued up. Had a hard time finding the rubber balls. Stumbled upon a jacks game in Rose's w/ 2 balls in the bag $1.00!
Anyway, I'm going to cut the top off of this one and make a new one; this time on the scroll saw instead of a jigsaw.
And if that one isn't right, I'll make train whistles from the scraps!
Good luck, Joe

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Hi Joe!
Thanks for the reply and info - sounds like we are on the same page. I just bought Paduak from Woodcraft last night and was going to start on it today. Think the scroll saw will make a difference? I don't have one, but what a great excuse to get one!!!

I did find a couple of sites that discuss "how to tune" these things. Seems that you shave off small amounts on the bottom side of the tounge key. Let me know if you are interested and I will dig up again and pass along. Really appreciate the help!
Best
Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I don't think that the Wood article gave me enough info. Here's a pic of my second effort with the scrollsaw (just clamped for now). The one using a jig saw had BIG slots as you can see.
Tongue_Drum_001.jpg

Here's an MPG of me banging on it. I think some of the buzz will go away after it's glued in.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/692/Tongue_Drum_002.mpg

Yes, I need help...send me that site if you don't mind. Found some sites, but they were drums for sale.
Joe

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That is totally cool! My kids would love that project, and maybe my nieces and nephews, too!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Wayne, the second one works great! Problem was the template had you cut so close to the edge that it became flimsy and any clamping would skew the shape. I cut the box even all around, glued 2 small pieces along the edge, then cutout the tongues. Then I glued that to the box using hand pressure for 3 minutes.
After the finish dries I'll send another pic.
Joe

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Way Coooool, Joe!!!!!:bcool: :bcool: :bcool:

It actually sounds really good!!!! (I don't think that I have ever read a post here at NCWW with accompanying audio!!!! A 1st??)

Is that maple with the walnut and paduak?

Your cuts really sweet using a jigsaw and the finish is great!

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Is that maple with the walnut and paduak?
No it's oak scrap, walnut scrap and paduak. Thought you were coming by on Sat?
The second sound board was scroll sawed.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that sounds really awesome. I wouldn't have thought you could get such a rich sound out of a piece of wood. I didn't think much of the project until I heard it. Now I have to make one. And I have a nice piece of QS Padauk to make it out of.
Dave:)

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
That tongue drum is great. I was looking at building a simpler one from plans I downloaded from the PC website. Yours looks a lot more interesting. I may have to reconsider my plans....
This keeping up with the NCWWs is getting tough!
ron

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Dave, I put the mpg up so that Wayne(Bahama) could hear my effort. I was making one for my grandson when his thread came up.
Maybe we could start a rockgroup. The WoodHeads?....BlockHeads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS