Toe in the Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I placed the proverbial toe in the water today. WoodArtz was kind enough to let me look over his shoulder as he created a bowl. He is a very good instructor and the hands on training was quite fun, yet much, much harder in application than what you seasoned veterans make it look like.

Having never tried the craft of shaping wood on a lathe, we started out "simple" with a honey dipper. Sorry no pics at this time due to camera issue. It turned out well, at least as far as I can tell and not so simple even if it looks like it.

We then moved on to a walnut bowl. This was a bowl that WoodArtz was doing but he walked me through a variety of ways to work with it and then let me mess it up prior to him reshaping it. :gar-La; Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the bowl turns out since we found 5 bullets in it. It should be quite unique.

I had a great time. WoodArtz is not only a patient man but a wonderful designer/turner.

tv

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ah, another Turn-and-Learn. A subtle way of kicking another members down the turning slope. Good for you Bob. And Todd, I am glad to hear that you had fun with it. The long slide starts with the first step :gar-La;:gar-La;

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
"Another one bites the dust.":icon_thum
One thing I'll hafta say about my limited experience with turning. I feel safer with a sharp tool in my hand and a blunt piece of wood spinning in front of me than I would holding a blunt piece of wood with a sharp tool spinning in front of me.
We can let the flat boards be used to their best advantage elsewhere and take the limbs and do a lotta stuff. Usin' up the whole tree that way.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I placed the proverbial toe in the water today. WoodArtz was kind enough to let me look over his shoulder as he created a bowl. He is a very good instructor and the hands on training was quite fun, yet much, much harder in application than what you seasoned veterans make it look like.

Having never tried the craft of shaping wood on a lathe, we started out "simple" with a honey dipper. Sorry no pics at this time due to camera issue. It turned out well, at least as far as I can tell and not so simple even if it looks like it.

We then moved on to a walnut bowl. This was a bowl that WoodArtz was doing but he walked me through a variety of ways to work with it and then let me mess it up prior to him reshaping it. :gar-La; Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the bowl turns out since we found 5 bullets in it. It should be quite unique.

I had a great time. WoodArtz is not only a patient man but a wonderful designer/turner.

tv

Just gotta play with fire don't you?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I mean, OK, just a toe so far, but next.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Not enough space in the garage to get much more than a toe at this time. Still a lot of fun, you should indulge, Bas.

tv

NCTurner

New User
Gary
"Another one bites the dust.":icon_thum
One thing I'll hafta say about my limited experience with turning. I feel safer with a sharp tool in my hand and a blunt piece of wood spinning in front of me than I would holding a blunt piece of wood with a sharp tool spinning in front of me. .

:BangHead:

Isn't that exactly what we do when we use an eletric saw??:dontknow:

Shavingsinmypockets

New User
Patrick Harrison
We then moved on to a walnut bowl. This was a bowl that WoodArtz was doing but he walked me through a variety of ways to work with it and then let me mess it up prior to him reshaping it.
Reminds me of a time that I let my older brother mess up a bowl I was working on:rotflm: lol. Sounds like youve caught the turning bug:eusa_danc. Its a great hobby (though a bit expensive:roll:). I hope that you get into it.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
:BangHead:

Isn't that exactly what we do when we use an eletric saw??:dontknow:
Not exactly. With an electric saw the sharp stuff is still the fast moving stuff. I'd consider a wood lathe almost an extension of a 'neander' tool in that respect if you get what I mean.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I had a great time sharing some woodturning tips with TV. He is a very nice guy with an engineers eye for detail. :icon_thum Todd did a great job on the honey dipper and he got a good start on bowl turning with the walnut bowl. :eusa_clap As he noted, we found a unique item in the bowl that was luckily friendly to the gouges. I'll try to post the bullet bowl soon. Since I know we have to provide proof of the visit, here ya' go...

Ok, who's next? :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS