Today's Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I made a second box today. It took me way longer than it should have. I made so many test cuts - the wood was priceless - it came from my grandpa's house that was build in the early 1900's. The sides and bottom are some sort of heart pine - I suspect hemlock but I am not sure. He worked in a sawmill and I have some pics of him with big hemlocks. I think the top and keys are chestnut - it also came from the house. These boards were part of the walls. The walls had been covered several times over the years. My grandpa and grandma have both passed now. I recovered this wood last year when the house was sold and the new owner was doing some remodeling. He was nice enough to let me have the wood he had cut out of the walls for new doors & windows. This box is a gift for my mother. I really thought a lot about my grandpa as I was making the box. He was an excellent carpenter and he built lots of houses and furniture in the Buladean area of NC.

Here is what I started with:

748469338_UrXWn-X3-1.jpg

Sides cut and bottom in place:

748476941_sJmpn-X3.jpg

748473021_vHh2E-X3.jpg

Keys in place:

748480779_xjaqZ-X3.jpg

First coat of Seal-A-Cell:

748482536_Lpe8u-X3.jpg

748484287_74EAh-X3.jpg

748486384_7xa9V-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice work Michael, definitely a very special gift. And clever use of that knothole to facilitate the finishing process!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That's a great looking box and a wonderful story. I'm sure your mother will really love it. :icon_thum

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
That is a beautiful box with a great story. Your mom will love it. Now if you have enough extra wood, you need to build yourself one to remember your grandparent's.

Red

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice box and even nicer story. Have you considered writing up a little story about the history of the wood and include it with the box.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very nice! A question about the glue up: I have never done splines like these (but want to on a box I have sitting in my garage). I imagine you glue up the box, let it dry, then cut and glue the splines in?
Thanks!
Salem

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks, folks. I have enough wood to make smaller boxes for my brother, aunt, and two cousins. That won't happen any time soon though. I also have enough wormy chestnut and wormy oak to make a fairly large piece. I haven't decided what to make yet.

I did glue up the corners before adding the keys. I learned how to make these boxes by watching the "Basic Box Making" DVD. It is excellent.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, great story and fine looking box. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Must be pretty cool to work the same wood your grandfather wroked some time back.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors