Today's Public Service Announcement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Chisels remain very sharp.

Sharpening chisels this afternoon and a small Stanley socket chisel slipped out of my hand while I was tapping the handle to be ensure it was on tightly. One compression bandage and two band-aids later and I'm back in business (working on plane irons now).

Carry on...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hate when that happens - hope all is well.

One thing - most hand tool mishaps are less debilitating that those caused by power tools.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Been looking for an opportunity to post this;
Wednesday I got too close to the blade on a DeWalt 20volt 6" saw. Little saw blades like meat just as well as big'uns. 5 stitches on my middle finger, 2 on my 4th, and a nick to my index. 50 years with power saws and this is my first - and hopefully my last- cut by a power saw. Heat, fatigue, and unfamiliarity all played a role, but it was one careless instant that produced the results. Sure makes typing a challenge.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My wife was a paramedic, so when anything like that happens here I just use the old G.I. phrase, "MEDIC!":help:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Chisels remain very sharp.

Sharpening chisels this afternoon and a small Stanley socket chisel slipped out of my hand while I was tapping the handle to be ensure it was on tightly. One compression bandage and two band-aids later and I'm back in business (working on plane irons now).

Carry on...

Did you try to catch it? I learned that lesson the hard way....

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Did you try to catch it? I learned that lesson the hard way....

Yep. Sort of a drop/bounce off the workbench/"catch" combo. The judges scored it a 7.5.

Your reaction is to grab for it. That's a bad plan.

Note: This was my little 1/8" chisel. (Little ones cut just as well.)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​I keep doing dumb stuff on my TS. I've hit my left thumb twice. Luckily both times it was on the back side of the blade. Much better than the front side. The back knocks a plug out and throws your hand up and away. The front side just cuts the finger off. Also every couple of years I get my knuckles tangled up with my 12in. disk sander. One time every few years is enough to get your undivided attention.

Pop
:BangHead:

gritz

New User
Robert
Wednesday I got too close to the blade on a DeWalt 20volt 6" saw. Little saw blades like meat just as well as big'uns. 5 stitches on my middle finger, 2 on my 4th, and a nick to my index. 50 years with power saws and this is my first - and hopefully my last- cut by a power saw. Heat, fatigue, and unfamiliarity all played a role, but it was one careless instant that produced the results. Sure makes typing a challenge.

Almost the exact situation and cuts my stepson experienced last year. After two surgeries he elected to remove the middle finger. He is much more careful now.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Over the years I have noticed that I make the most mistakes when I am tired. That applies to just about any endeavor from spreadsheets to woodworking. Fortunately, my mistakes tend to manifest themselves as quality issues and not injuries. But I know that I am not immune to making a mistake that could land me in the ER. And I have to admit that the safety features on my Sawstop table saw are worth every penny that I paid for them.

You are lucky; most of the circular saw injuries that I have witnessed were considerably more damaging than what happened to you. You are lucky that that you didn't amputate a finger or cut through a tendon and nerves.

Pete

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
If you spend much time around people who ride motorcycles, you will hear someone say that he just wasn't in the right frame of mind to ride that day. I have actually started a long ride only to realize early on that I was not sufficiently focused on the motorcycle and the road to have a safe ride. I'd turn around and park the bike until I was in a better frame of mind to ride. Motorcycles require such an intense concentration on what you are doing that it just does not make sense to ride if your head is not in the ride 100%.

I think that approach applies to a lot of other things that we do too. Our shops are filled with a wide assortment of power tools and hand tools that are capable of causing some horrendous injuries. Accidents can happen no matter how careful we are, but they are so much more likely to happen when we are tired or distracted.

​I keep doing dumb stuff on my TS. I've hit my left thumb twice. Luckily both times it was on the back side of the blade. Much better than the front side. The back knocks a plug out and throws your hand up and away. The front side just cuts the finger off. Also every couple of years I get my knuckles tangled up with my 12in. disk sander. One time every few years is enough to get your undivided attention.

Pop
:BangHead:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think that approach applies to a lot of other things that we do too. Our shops are filled with a wide assortment of power tools and hand tools that are capable of causing some horrendous injuries. Accidents can happen no matter how careful we are, but they are so much more likely to happen when we are tired or distracted.

Fully agree. A few months ago, I experienced a kickback from my tablesaw. It happened within the first 30 minutes of being in the shop. I wasn't tired, but I definitely was not in the right frame of mind when it occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS