Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Thought I would post some WIP, gotta keep my post count up:lol::lol:
I decided I would try some DT joints, I tried one a few months back and it wasnt too bad.
So now I'll try making a box, I think the way to learn is just jump in and do it:lol:
I dont have a DT jig of course but I do have a DT bit so making one side was easy just set the bit hight and the fence and run it through with a backer block (i dont know if this side is called the tails or pins).
The other side, I marked them as close as i could, then cut them with my suzuki saw, then hogged out most of the wood with my cheap bandsaw, and finished up with sharp chisels.
Tomorrow I will sand the mess out of it and see what it looks like:lol:
And think about what kind of top I can make for it:lol:
DONT LAUGH ITS MY FIRST REAL TRY

The easy side
dt1.jpg

how i cut it
dt2.jpg

The hard side
dt3.jpg

Glued up
dt4.jpg

Needs sanding
dt5.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Earl they look great, and I like the way that you went about cutting them. You really have a way of making things work without needing a bunch of fancy stuff. Although I would like to see that "SUZUKI" saw of yours. Is it anything like the V-8 powered chainsaw that was posted a while ago...but with only 3 cylinders :lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Earl they look great, and I like the way that you went about cutting them. You really have a way of making things work without needing a bunch of fancy stuff. Although I would like to see that "SUZUKI" saw of yours. Is it anything like the V-8 powered chainsaw that was posted a while ago...but with only 3 cylinders :lol::lol::lol:

There was a little shop in tachikawa that hand made tools I went there all the time 5 or 6 years before he finally went out of busness his name was suzuki and thats where I got the saw, so I call it my suzuki saw:lol::lol::lol:

J

jeff...

Yeah and have you noticed he's got a lot better at dragging those boards up and down the street behind his pick-up to make them flat - I don't see gravel anywhere in that wood do you?

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey that's cool stuff. I have never attempted Dt joints. So my hat is off to you.
I'm going to cheat and have asked Big Dave if you would teach me one day.
Remember Dave oh kind sir:eusa_whis

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
willarda had a handcut dovetail class earlier this year, in Chapel Hill. I went and it was worth the drive. But if you want to go the route of power tools (pun intended), more power to ya (2nd pun intended).:slap:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Earl,

My hat's off to you... you make this stuff with a load of talent rather than a load of tools. Your work looks terrific.

Ray

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
>DONT LAUGH ITS MY FIRST REAL TRY
Laugh at what? Those are some nice looking dovetails, I like the bold size. If you can make it fit and don't need to use woodfiller.....I'd say that pretty much qualifies as success!!!!

Bas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors