To replace Drill press motor or not

kurtwp

New User
Kurt
I recently was using my drill press when the motor started to make a scraping sound. I continue with my drilling with no issues other than the annoying sound. I contacted the manufacturer about the issue and directed them to a video I posted of the noise. Within five business days of contacting them, I now have a new motor.

I am thinking of not replacing the motor right away as it still works and right now just annoying sound. The new motor does work as I did test the motor.

As a home hobbyist, the drill press is not used often but still used.

So the 6.4 billion dollar question: Should I replace now or wait until it stops working.

Thanks

Kurt

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My question would be, "Why would you not replace it now?" Is there a reason not to replace it now? Unless I'm missing something, you'll end up replacing it sooner or later, so go ahead and do it now and drill in peace.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I'd guess the noise is coming from a dirty or worn out bushing/bearing. I'd replace the motor now before the problem gets worse and take the old motor to a local shop to see if it's something they can fix easily and fairly cheaply. This would give you a workable, quiet motor for some other project or as a spare for your drill press in case this new motor does the same thing. If you are feeling adventurous and need another project, you could see about repairing it yourself.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'd guess the noise is coming from a dirty or worn out bushing/bearing. I'd replace the motor now before the problem gets worse and take the old motor to a local shop to see if it's something they can fix easily and fairly cheaply. This would give you a workable, quiet motor for some other project or as a spare for your drill press in case this new motor does the same thing. If you are feeling adventurous and need another project, you could see about repairing it yourself.

Yup. I would swap in the new motor as soon as time allows. Then you can more easily find out what the problem is with the old motor.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
So what is the worst thing that can happen if you don't replace the motor now? Very remote, but remember Murphy's Law, It could short out and catch fire. Is it worth the risk? Not to me.

kurtwp

New User
Kurt
I guess just being lazy. Removing the pully and motor would not be difficult it's dealing with taking apart the switch to disconnect the cord and running it through all the holes grommets. Maybe I'll just splice it in cutting the old motor wire. I would have no issue making that connection safe. Need to ponder the universe on this.

Kurt

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
id see if you can't just fix it with some new bearings, then you can sell the replacement as new.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Motors are cheap. A 3/4 hp 120 v (most common on home drill presses) 60-90 bucks. Just depends on the quality of the drill press. If it is a home depot 150 buck unit, then I would consider getting something else. If the Quill and bearings are tight, then I would think it would be worth renovating, just depends on your mechanical skill level. They are pretty simple to replace a motor. Just match the housing type most are 56 fr, just check that Beyond that, it is not much to do then.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
...it's dealing with taking apart the switch to disconnect the cord and running it through all the holes grommets. Maybe I'll just splice it in cutting the old motor wire.

If this was my drill press and it was going to be a PIA to unwire and rewire it, I would first look at the motor end to see if it's easier to disconnect the wires there. Since the motor has to come off anyway, it would be nice to do all the disconnecting and reconnecting in one spot. If that didn't appear to be an option and there was room to do it, I might consider cutting the wires and adding connectors so the new motor can be plugged in.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS