To Insulate or not to Insulate

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have a 12'x24' building I bought for my brother to use as a shop. It's insulated because it will stay warmer and cooler as the temperature dictates, at a much lower use of watts. The inside temp will also be more stable.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not sure if mentioned, but I would remove that roll up door and replace it with an insulated steel entry door. You can probably sell it.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I recommend a split system. More expensive but heats and cools and very efficient. Also quiet.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Absolutley sheath the ceiling, that way you can hang LED lights, plus MINI SPLIT, talking about comfort did I mention MINI SPLIT?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
One added benefit of insulation is it will reduce noise coming into or leaving the shop. So if you are in town your neighbors may thank you.

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
Yes insulate for sure.

I went with a portable unit instead of a mini split. It is less efficient so in the long run energy cost will be higher. It was much cheaper up front though and very easy to install. I only had to cut one round hole in the wall (maybe 5"?) since I didn't want to use the window.

Given that I didn't plan to be here for more than a few years I didn't think the mini split would pay for itself. In any case it has kept up with heating, AC, and dehumidification needs here in Tallahassee and was very inexpensive to buy and quick/easy to install. If I wind up staying in this house long term it will wind up being more expensive over the long run.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
just info, we have been here 10 years, mini split from get go in my 3 car shop, we never really notice it in electric bill 12,500. sharge is 600 sq ft

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS