To glue or not to glue..that is my question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have made the parts to my NYW style router table. It's 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF topped with a piece of phenolic impregnated Baltic Birch ply. Should I glue the top to the cabinet so I will know that it won't move. Or just screw it to the cabinet in case I need to remove it later. I don't have tremendous amounts of work in the cabinet, and I have planned/designed it to be a tool that I will have for a very long time. Could I run into a big :BangHead: if I glue it down????
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Neither. Screw some blocks under the edge of the top (along the edge of the cabinet), and let gravity hold the top down.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a dang good idea. But I will take it one step farther and glue the blocks to the inside to fit into the opening I have made in the top of the cabinet. That way nothing will be on the edges to obstruct any clamping I might do and it might look prettier. Thanks Insom. for great advice.

M

McRabbet

Dave, I put blocks inside of my cabinet, but did screw through them into the top, too -- didn't want the top to tilt when in use, but it is still removable. Also recommend you seal the underside of the top, too -- At least, give it 2 coats of shellac-based primer to seal out moisture. MDF is like a sponge for moisture and it will insure it stays flat.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am sealing it, I am using just regular amber shellac #2 cut, that should work as well? Good point about tipping, I think a few screws for safety would smart.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I vote for using screws to secure the top also, but if the screws are removed a few times the holes in the MDF tend to enlarge. Where did you get the phenolic impregnated Baltic Birch ply for the top? I have never heard of this product. I am also (slowly) building a mobile router cabinet and looking at options for the top. Could you post a photo of the top?

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I appreciate this thread.

I was concerned about the top tipping as well, but Uncle Norm had just suggested the blocks to hold it in place. I'm thinking of adding four table top "Z"s to hold it in place, yet still allow it's removal. What is your opinion of that method?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The phenolic ply came from Woodcraft, I will post some pictures when I get to a better viewing stage.

The Z clips are another excellent idea, that would prevent the screws from wallerin' out the holes in the MDF.

M

McRabbet

Splinter said:
Okay, what are Z clips? :?:

They are z-shaped metal clips for fastening table tops to rails or cabinets -- here's an example from Lee Valley's Hardware Catalog.

Rob

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Thanks guys. After I saw examples, I realized I knew what they were but didn't know they were called Z clips. Sure is nice to be able to ask dumb questions and not get some "smart a##" answer. This really is a great forum.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Splinter said:
Sure is nice to be able to ask dumb questions and not get some "smart a##" answer. This really is a great forum.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I certainly wouldn't want to imply that your's was a dumb question, I had to do a quick internet search myself before I called them that in my original post. However, I absolutely echo your comments about not getting "smart a##" answers!! That is what makes this forum so great. I'm sure that may be what some of the members have thougth about some of my questions... but the actual replies have always been very informative and "kind" :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS