Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Well , Mike Davis caught him first :eusa_clap

thief_original.jpg

View image in gallery

Then he gave me permission to work with the photo and here is the result

1/8 " cherry ply ( stack cut 3 ) #3 spiral ( what else :mrgreen: )

This booger has been quite challenging and took a little longer than usual because I had to keep walking away from it :BangHead: ....like walking 5 steps over to the lathe to take my mind off of it :gar-La;

Thanx Mike for a great opportunity ! :icon_thum

Thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Well I had to keep walking away from it :BangHead: ....like walking 5 steps over to the lathe to take my mind off of it :gar-La;

I was wondering if you where still using that scroll saw - with all of the turning post you have had - Great job bro:icon_thum Where did you get the Cherry ply

sawduster

New User
Robert
I was wondering if you where still using that scroll saw - with all of the turning post you have had - Great job bro:icon_thum Where did you get the Cherry ply

Back before Jeff Mills and FredP turned me on to working with real wood , I used to get all my hardwood ply from Sloans
I still have quite a stockpile of cherry and mahogany and some maple
I still deal with them from time to time and take advantage of their web specials on 1/8" ply

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Perfect!

A cherry thief in a cherry tree, captured in cherry wood. It doesn't get any better!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great work there, Robert!

I am sure it will be proudly displayed in a very prominent spot on someone's wall.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Outstanding! Now does Mike get the "new picture" in exchange for the old one???? :gar-La;

This may be a dumb question, but is is possible to stack multiple sheets of play and scroll out several items at once?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Scott, I am not a scroller (yet), but I believe you can cut one pattern multiple times by stacking a few pieces of ply (or other wood). The technique is referred to as "stacking".

Note: I deny any responsibility if any information dispensed by myself results in personal injury....or if it is correct! :rolf:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Scott, I am not a scroller (yet), but I believe you can cut one pattern multiple times by stacking a few pieces of ply (or other wood). The technique is referred to as "stacking".

Note: I deny any responsibility if any information dispensed by myself results in personal injury....or if it is correct! :rolf:

You are correct in the term "stacking"

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
As allways Duster you are truley amazing. Some day Ill get you to teach me how to make a pattern.

Thanks MArk:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:eek: Excellent work bro! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Dude, you're just too talented. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Outstanding! Now does Mike get the "new picture" in exchange for the old one???? :gar-La;

This may be a dumb question, but is is possible to stack multiple sheets of play and scroll out several items at once?

Not a dumb question at all . It is indeed called stack cutting and I do it with almost every piece , especially nature-type pieces. There are a few benefits. It is difficult to control the blade in a 1/8" piece of wood . Stacking several makes for better blade control . Additionally you can make various looks for the same piece. on this one, for instance, I used 1 piece of cherry ply, one piece of mahogany ply and a 1/4" piece of BB ply
The cherry one was for Mike right out of the gate, but I now have the advantage, for the same amount of work, of having 2 other versions.
When removing this much wood, the piece becomes fragile and stacking helps with that also

All in all this was a pretty satisfying project. I like working with homegrown pictures :icon_thum

Thanx everyone for the kind words :mrgreen: It was nice to have a marathon scrolling session ...I had almost forgotten how much I truly enjoy it :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Nice job as usual, Robert.

Another little note on Scott's question...
Most scroll saws (except for a few high end ones) don't pull the blade exactly vertical. Good ones come pretty close and cheap ones rock like crazy. Stack cutting something intricate is one of the few times I have been able to see why that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors