Titebond(ed)

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
For my rate of usage, I usually buy Titebond in containers with tops like this:
2A64B4CD-6C03-467C-B676-984FE9632FF7.jpeg

The last several bottles have had a tendency for the sliding portion of the top to firmly glue itself to the center portion in between usages. I usually have to prize the sliding portion with a screwdriver to get the top open once again.

Anyone else encountering this? If so, have you figured out a workaround?

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I have had the same issues. A couple options that work:
1. Works best once finished using remove top (unscrew the entire top) to run hot water from the sink through the top until clean, shake dry and reinstall top
2. Pliers work well to crack the dried glue and makes it easy to pull up but risks dried chunks blocking the fresh glue flow

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, I have experienced the same issue. My work around is to pour the glue from the Titebond container into a plastic squeeze bottle (the kind with a round tip and small plastic cap). While I do get a little bit of dried glue at the tip of the squeeze bottle, it is easy to pop out.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Mike, I have experienced the same issue. My work around is to pour the glue from the Titebond container into a plastic squeeze bottle (the kind with a round tip and small plastic cap). While I do get a little bit of dried glue at the tip of the squeeze bottle, it is easy to pop out.

Interesting that this wasn’t a problem until just a few years ago.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
I've found simply wiping the cap clean (without removing it), pushing the tip closed and rewiping has worked well for me. I make sure to clean any glue at the base of the tip before closing. You have to remove all the dried residue (typically chips off with light fingernail pressure) or you'll allow air/moisture entry, which allows the glue to cure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I pour glue from a one gallon jug into plastic honey bears. When the tip gets too bad I toss it and grab a new one. The bears are cheap.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I hate those tips. The only way I know to keep them pristine is run hot water through after each use.

I recently tried some silicone nipples (too small to fit that bottle) and they work great.

But you'll have better luck with a Glu Bot bottle.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yeah I tend to use those dollar store squeeze bottles. But, the glue does not stick to the push tops you just need a small screwdriver or a utility knife and you can usually flick just so and it breaks free enough to pull it off with your fingers.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've tried wiping the bottom of the sliding part and the top when it's closed, but still have the problem. I use pliers to pull the top up.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've never had the issue you're having but here is what I do different. Once done with the glue I don't wipe the tip clean. I let the glue dry on the tip and this seals it. When I need to use the glue, I simply pop off the dried glue with my fingernail and I'm good to go. It has worked for me so far.

Red

Bill J

Bill
User
I've found simply wiping the cap clean (without removing it), pushing the tip closed and rewiping has worked well for me. I make sure to clean any glue at the base of the tip before closing. You have to remove all the dried residue (typically chips off with light fingernail pressure) or you'll allow air/moisture entry, which allows the glue to cure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick
Second on cleaning between uses. I was using a pair of pliers but have found that a wet rag between uses really keeps it from sticking. You have to wipe around the bottom carefully.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This what I have been using but I kinda go for the Ketchup Dollar store ones, Yellow is too garish on your workbench ...... :D

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS