Tiny Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Well, I e-filed taxes and NC paid up quickly (surprised after last year's fiascos).

With funds burning holes in my pockets I went to Klingspor's and WC.

Wood from Klingspor's and DMT stone/stand plus Hock blade from WC.

Bolivian Rosewood 6 x 6 x 3.
6x6x3_Boliv_Rosewood.JPG

DMT 10 inch coarse/xtra coarse plus stand. Hock blade replacement for Stanley 6 or 7. Lignum vitae from Klingspor's. Gonna make some bandsaw guides for narrow blades.
DMT_and_Hock_No_7_and_Lig_Vitae.JPG

I have a vintage Keen Kutter 6 in good shape but the blade is pitted pretty bad. I also have a Stanley 7 with a just-okay blade but felt it can also benefit from a Hock iron. I'll take the best of the chipbreakers and mate to the Hock blade and see if I can produce some decent shavings.

Chuck

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Chuck,

I can't think of anything better to do with a tax return (too bad that in this house, I don't get to do all the thinking)

What are you going to do with the rosewood?

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Chuck,

I can't think of anything better to do with a tax return (too bad that in this house, I don't get to do all the thinking)

What are you going to do with the rosewood?

Picked it up for a fellow NCWWer. I just wanted to post a transitional gloat. (Is that legal??) :nah:

I think it will become a front knob on a Bedrock. Maybe a few front knobs? :gar-Bi

Chuck

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice acquisitions, transitional or not the rosewood is pretty to look at and plane knobs sound like a perfect usage. :wsmile:

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I made a board to hold the stones in place while I sharpen.

IMG_2740.JPG

Then I sharpened the new Hock, fettled the best chipbreaker between my Keen Kutter K6C and 7C and made a few shavings. Here's the Keen Kutter after shaving some walnut and padauk.

IMG_2743.JPG

Took me a while to get both the 7C and K6C set up for the thicker Hock iron but I finally managed. The 7C barely worked for me. If I wanted heavy shavings I'd have to ease the mouth a bit if that's doable.

I actually like the feel of the 6 over the 7C for now and it produces a very fine surface.

Full width shavings required .0015" thickness. I could produce < .001" but the thinner ones weren't spanning all the way down the board. I believe I can get thinner full width shavings after I touch up the blade one more time. I worked it over a little getting it set in the planes.

Chuck

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great score!

Gotta love those Hock irons.

Not to hijack, but I'm glad to hear more folks using the #6. I think its underrated and a very usable sized plane.

Jim

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice, especially with the shavings!

Jim, pass along a #6 and I will be happy to praise its usefulness. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS