Time is running out - FREE Shipping ends tomorrow.....Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I always enjoy the emails from Rockler stating that free shipping is running out, as if I won't get another email the next day stating free shipping again, but only for a limited time!:gar-La;

Not to bash Rockler, b/c i DO enjoy free shipping, I just get a kick out of the urgency of the emails they send me.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Boy, I couldn't agree more. I actually feel like these companies are doing themselves more harm than good. This is the negative outcome a full time marketing person, or worse a marketing team. They have to keep busy, so they keep blasting us all with junk. A few companies find a better balance (like PeachTree, Lee Valley, etc), but Rockler and Woodcraft (and a few others) are really a bit too aggressive.

Even worse with Rockler is that most of it's not even the stuff we probably "want" ... it's just what they are pushing. So sad ...

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Sending regular emails is part of my job. I'm confident it is what has sustained us through the recession.

Whether it is something the person wants today is not as important as keeping the company name branded to them so they remember you and hopefully when they do want to buy they think to browse your site first and call you

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
In fairness to Rockler, tool buying is always a matter of urgency for me...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Sending regular emails is part of my job. I'm confident it is what has sustained us through the recession.

Whether it is something the person wants today is not as important as keeping the company name branded to them so they remember you and hopefully when they do want to buy they think to browse your site first and call you

Now I know the source!

J/K ... too much is just too much though. Like I said, you have to find the balance. But every day telling the world that you have "last chance" for something we all know will be back in two weeks is just inconsiderate and treats us all like fools.

Used machinery, like I believe you were selling, that changes weekly and really might be gone ... I can see a need for more often.

It's approach. It's message. It's frequency.

jimNC

New User
Jim

You walk a dangerous line there. I have unsubscribed and never ordered from companies that send too much email regularly, and I am not alone. What you are doing is justifying spam, unless the person opted in to receive regular emails - in which case, it's fine.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
You walk a dangerous line there. I have unsubscribed and never ordered from companies that send too much email regularly, and I am not alone. What you are doing is justifying spam, unless the person opted in to receive regular emails - in which case, it's fine.

I agree. I have started unsubscribing from companies and individuals who send email too frequently. Once a week or so, depending on the source, is usually fine, but some of these are daily or more frequent.
Especially when I did not opt in to the mailing list to begin with!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I also belong to the do not spam group - If I get to many emails from a company... I wrote a little script for my mail server with a black list which scans all incoming emails for key words like Rockler for example and if a blacklist word is found then it moves the mail to dev/null. Whatever company/person sent the email is none the wise and I never see them anymore. So a company who spamed me at one time could be giving away free tools and free shipping and I would never know...

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
We don't do the same gimmick over and over like rockler

we shoot for creativity and better content because as all of you have said too much of the same thing is annoying to everyone

All of our lists are opt in and we honor unsubscribe requests

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
So a company who spamed me at one time could be giving away free tools and free shipping and I would never know...
With this crowd, you'd know :D

But I agree, some companies send way too much e-mail. MLCS does a pretty good job with its frequency, and Amazon is OK given how much I buy from them. But some started sending me useless offers twice a week.

FlyingRon

Ron
If you look at the free shipping codes over a few months you'll see a trend that you can use whenever you order whether you have the email or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS