Time for a real bench

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If you find yourself needing something taller on occasion plans for this is on the site.
20210703_065050.jpg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
A couple of years ago, on a lark, I tossed together this sliding leg vise out of SYP. It has an 8” throat and has proved to be more useful than the sliding deadman was. One of these days I’ll replace it with one built with nicer wood reusing the hardware.

B8328822-1414-4C31-97CF-0F5BAFB34474.jpeg

43715575-FE11-4DA0-B171-BEB0D052B8AD.jpeg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Rough milled the legs this morning from some well cured 2 x 12's I used for scaffolding. Picked up 8 12' 2 x 12's to do the top.
Glad lumber prices have broken. Studs were under $4 again.

The tip from the Arnichist's Workbench for using 2 x 12's worked out great. They are more dimensionally useable than smaller boards, plus, 10's and 12's are SYP. I got 5 x 1 3/8 useable planks from the old 2 x 12's

I have not measured, but they seem a bit wet. Hope I don't have to wait too long for the to dry. I need my bench done as my pantry doors have shipped from Fastcabinetdoors.

So far, new layout for the shop has worked fine. I may need to cut the pass-through in the wall for the table saw to do the top.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Makes me think. About to re-do the master bath. I might be ahead to get strait walls for tile by ripping SYP for the studs. Takes no time on my saw.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Starting to look like a bench. Decided on the split top. 54 long and only 32 high. Darn, level sensor in my DC bin failed. First blank, now stays on full.
5 bags of sawdust getting the lumber to size.
20210814_151809.jpg
20210814_160601.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Will put a rubber pad on three feet. Looking for a super duty leveler for the other. Only need one.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Best of both? Just had a thought. I could make a notch in the center spacers and plane a plank just an *** less, then I can have a removeable center section.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
All glued up. Will have to get some help to get it on the ground. I guess poly on the base. Still thinking Formica on the top.
Was wondering how well wood hardener soaks into good wood. Thinking about soaking the leg end grain.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike,
How does that mechanism work? It looks awesome.
As you screw the vise out the ratchet just clicks out with it. Sometimes I have to pull it a little. As you crank it back in it catches on the little ramps, there is a small lever just under the table top that releases the catch off the bar at the bottom. Overall it is very smooth and responsive.

Cheap and very easy to make.

MikeH

New User
Mike
As you screw the vise out the ratchet just clicks out with it. Sometimes I have to pull it a little. As you crank it back in it catches on the little ramps, there is a small lever just under the table top that releases the catch off the bar at the bottom. Overall it is very smooth and responsive.

Cheap and very easy to make.

Thanks Mike. I might have to add something like that on my bench. Would you have any plans drawn showing the basic design?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike. I might have to add something like that on my bench. Would you have any plans drawn showing the basic design?
I never draw plans for anything unless I might draw a full size template to build a bending jig.
I have photos and could take more or you can come and take measurements for your drawings. I understand some people have to work that way. I usually just make stuff.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Thank you all for the advice. As you can see, I did not use much of it, but it was all informative. Special thanks to Mr. Black, without whose saw sharpening service of my grandfathers Diston, I would still be trimming the ends. It is sturdy, but weight is questionable. I may have used too thick of rubber pads for the feet. Will get some retractable casters on order.
20210817_141220.jpg

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Good looking bench, i can speak from experience that with the pads under the legs every screw you drop will hide under the legs :)

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
They are actually only about a quarter inch in, so should be able to find most.
Heavy duty retractable casters are on order. I went the bigger ones hoping they would swivel easier than the standard duty ( Bora style) on my jointer. It only weighs about 175 or so, so it may get a couple layers of cement pavers on the shelf and a ply top shelf. I won't really know until I use it a bit.
Even prettier with a quick coat of poly on it. :)

So, back to real projects finally.

fjdog

New User
Roland
They are actually only about a quarter inch in, so should be able to find most.
Heavy duty retractable casters are on order. I went the bigger ones hoping they would swivel easier than the standard duty ( Bora style) on my jointer. It only weighs about 175 or so, so it may get a couple layers of cement pavers on the shelf and a ply top shelf. I won't really know until I use it a bit.
Even prettier with a quick coat of poly on it. :)

So, back to real projects finally.
After using your bench for a while, what are your thoughts? Beefy enough? or did you add ballast to the shelf?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS