Time for a new tool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Well, my old Milwaukee right angle drill gave up the ghost. I has served me the past three years, not as a drill, but as a bowl sander. So, I'm in the market for new angle drill/sander. Milwaukee replaced my old model with a new one that many reviewers hate. :confused_

Anybody have good experiences with a particular brand? Electric vs. air? It needs to be reversible.

Thanks!

Sully

New User
jay
Any chance your old Milwaukee just needs new brushes in it?

Sorry, can't provide any recommendations for a new replacement.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Any chance your old Milwaukee just needs new brushes in it?

Sorry, can't provide any recommendations for a new replacement.

The old one sounds like a concrete mixer and has an "electrical smell"... Not being electrically inclined, I'm not sure what's wrong with it. How could I tell? If I could get this one up and running again, I'd be a happy camper. :eusa_danc

T

toolferone

Sioux Tools are good quality.

If you have a large enough air compressor, I would look at a right angle air sander. It would be lighter too and some have longer necks that might come in handy.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Tom's suggestion of a air sander was a good one because using a drill for sanding is really overloading the bearings. Take your drill apart and you'll probably find some worn-out bearings since they're not designed for a whole lot of sideways force, which you'll have when you use a sanding disc.

Roy G

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have this one. Nothing yet to complain about. However I don't put near the miles on my drill that I am sure you will.
Salem

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tom's suggestion of a air sander was a good one because using a drill for sanding is really overloading the bearings. Take your drill apart and you'll probably find some worn-out bearings since they're not designed for a whole lot of sideways force, which you'll have when you use a sanding disc.

Roy G

+1. Bob, you ought to take apart your old one before you replace it. Most likely a new set of bearing and brushes will get you back on the road.

As Tom mentioned, Sioux makes some great air sanders, as does IR. You'll need some decent air compressor CFM though to use them - probably in the 15CFM range if not more.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Thanks everybody! I may give the air sander... a spin :wink_smil. I'll hand the Milwaukee over to Payne's for an overhaul if it's not too expensive. I usually turn two to three bowls a weekend and go from 80 to 600 grit every time, so I do give my sander a workout.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Ok... I scored a new drill/sander today from our buddies over at Klingspor's. It's very similar to the Milwaukee and should do the job for another few years (I hope). The air sanders I looked at required a larger compressor than I have or need, so I settled for electric.

tz20000.jpg

View image in gallery

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bob,
by my employment choice I should be encouraging you towards a air sander but in reality a electric drill even if it is destined for failure in 2 to 3 years would be a better deal overall. When you consider the amount of energy you expend producing enough air to operate a good air sander it does not always make sense.Scott was nearly spot on as alot of our(IR) products and our ARO line quotes 15 cfm requirements but it can be almost 28 to 39 cfm to run them at full speed @ full load. And the sanding speeds are generally too high for our kind of sanding.Look into IR product #GR 25, 1/4" cordless die grinder that is high speed but has a very manageable speed control. I use one in work and we are looking at it in a long term reliability study so I will know more about it's performance down the road. We are basically working on alot of electric and cordless versions of our air based tool line cause they are coming to the realization that the average guy can not afford to buy and operate a compressor big enough to run these air tools for long stretches of time.I'm getting alittle long winded but if you have any questions get with me and I will try to help you out.
Thanx ,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS