Timber ripping assistance (and advice) in Raleigh-Durham?

Inarticulate

New User
Matt
Hey all!

I'm relatively new to the area here after moving up from South Carolina last year. For the new(ish) house, the wife wants a large dining table with timber-frame style legs. I've run out of talent and lack good enough equipment to make two of these pieces:

1571876644192.png

I've already laminated two pieces of 8/4 Sapele and completed most of the cuts. The problem I've gotten myself into is that I've left too much "safety margin" away from my lines and have lost a large portion of my reference surfaces. Unfortunately its also too much material to remove with a hand plane (by my amateur assessment). Does anybody local have a jointer/tablesaw large enough to help make these cuts....and the willingness, expertise, and patience to give me a hand? I'm happy to cover any costs associated with it!

I can take some pictures of the current stage I'm at if that's helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

-Matt

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Sorry but I am not in the area. But as a rule of thumb.... When doing challenging pieces, what I do is this: I take soft wood like pine and do a mock up cut of the profile. The piece can be 8" or so. Then, you are sure you know how to jig and proceed to cut. This makes you much more comfortable cutting your true piece.
Also, when doing things with limited tooling, use 1/32 proud (more) than dimension desired. I do this by making the cuting 1/32 wider. Also, before cutting a board with lots of cuts make sure there is no crook or wane on any side.... all sides must be straight. Good luck

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I may be able to help. Need pictures. My table saw won't cut that deep but if a jointer will do it Sunday would work for me. Others may be closer.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Hey Matt, I may be able to help, but I'm a bit tied up for the next several days! What's your timeline? I'm pretty sure I've got the equipment to do what you want and I'm close enough ( NorthWest Chapel Hill). Let me know!

Inarticulate

New User
Matt
Thanks for your help and advice, guys. I'll grab some pictures when I get home tonight so you can see where I'm at with it. I'm not on a tight timeline, I've been working on it leisurely (too leisurely if you ask my wife).

Inarticulate

New User
Matt
Fred/Michael, thank you both for your offers of help. Fred, I'm going to check with Michael first since he's quite a bit closer to me!

Michael, if you don't mind I'd love to take you up on your offer to help. I can be available any evening this week (and probably next) and all weekend. Whatever works best for you. I work in Cary and live in Durham so I can make it work. I'm not in any hurry either.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS