Thumb/Palm Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This past Saturday I decided to hit the lathe and rough out some bowls. Unfortunately
frown.gif
, I didn't too far into the blanks when I had a painful accident.

How did it happen? Man, I don't know. The bowl gouge must have slipped past center while hollowing the middle, hit the back side and caught, followed the bowl around as it spun and somehow flew full speed into the meat of my hand where the thumb meets the palm. It swelled immediately and was very painful. I later took myself to the ER just to get it an x-ray.Luckily, no broken bones ... just some deep bruising and soar joints. I'll be away from the lathe for a while as I have no grip strength.

Thought I'd share as a reminder to others ... be careful out there!

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
HEY,ya still got the other hand :wink_smil Sorry couldn'r resist.Jokes aside,i'm glad it wasn't worse,like the fella that was hit in the head an killed a short time ago.I'm sure you'll be back in no time,just be carefull.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about that Jeremy.

Can you type one handed, kinda slows the income a bit?

I'm sure lots of folks here will be happy to come over and keep your shop in working order while you recover.

Get well and take care. Catch up on your reading.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Sorry to hear. But it wasnt as bad as it could have been. I worked in the furniture buis for 8 years missing 1/4 off the end of pinyy finger. And I feel pretty good bout that.

Speedy recovery
Mark

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sorry to hear about that Jeremy. At least it wasn't a more serious injury. Best of luck on a speedy recovery. :icon_thum

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Yeah ... it's a bummer. I can still type and stuff ... just no grip. It was about double as big as the picture (which was taken 24 hours later). Luckily, once the news was in that it wasn't broken .. mentally, I was over it. Though the thumb joint hurts still ... I can manage!

bwat

New User
Bill
OUCH! But hey, could have been a LOT worse. Sounds like all will heal in time. This will give you some time to shop for more tools!:gar-La;

jhreed

New User
james
I had a similar injury with a table saw. Thought i was too smart to get hurt. My son was helping me and he has no experience. Had cut off a small piece between the blade & fence. It stayed there and my son was reaching for it and i lunged to keep him away from the blade. The piece launched and hit my left hand. I thought i had contacted the blade and started looking on the floor for my fingers. I did not find any fingers but it hurt so bad i was having trouble with my sphincter. My son told me to come inside and i told him i could not walk, broke out in a terible sweat. Immersed it in ice and water for over 45 minutes before the pain subsided. I have always had respect for saws, but now it is more like the respect i have for rattlesnakes.
We must learn from these experiences
james

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Jeremy, I know how how you feel! It only takes a second or two of not paying attention for it to jump up and bite you. 3 years ago, I was doing some work on the router. It was about 105 degrees in the shop and I was sweating like crazy. Like an idiot, I got some sweat in my eyes and took one hand off of the piece to wipe my eyes and the piece kicked back into my right hand and brusied it badly. But when it kicked back, I tried to grab it with my left and sent my thumb into the bit, pealing back the skin on the thumb. A bunch of stitches and a good size E.R. bill fixed it but it was a stupid mistake. :BangHead:
I was lucky with with that one. It could have taken the thumb and a good chunk of the hand instead. I now have several sweat bands which I wear when the temps go up into the high numbers! :embarrassed:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Sorry about your injury Jeremy - I am glad it wasn't any worse - any injury is bad enough but that one is the pits because of where it is at - you need that thumb to grab hold of things:thumbs_up hope it heals quick for ya

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Jeremy, I was over in my e-mail and I got one that had a few home remedies thought of you when I seen this one

Vinegar
to heal bruises... soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and
apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the
blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
I'm thinking a story about a bar fight or saving an old lady from a mugger is in order. Seriously, I'm
glad to hear that it's just bruising. Heal fast!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Answer lies in the first sentence! :eusa_thin Wood was NOT made to turn rapidly!! :nah:

Get well soon, Bud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS