Three Firsts One Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Attempted my first wet turned, between centers, natural edge bowl this evening. Need to buy a chuck for the new lathe, but had to turn something with it. A very good learning curve with this. I was doing pretty well and making my last scraping cut in the bottom, as I was coming out I had a loss of focus and caught the edge of the bowl knocking off the bark on two spots. Frustrating, but I guess I'm one catch better than before. The bowl ended up being 4 inches tall and 6 wide. Now I'll let it dry for a bit then try and finish it.

I also tried my new Ci3 finishing gouge to hollow the inside of the bowl. Very nice, almost scary how quickly it cut.

I'll try and post some pic tomorrow, could definitely use some pointer and critiques.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The only way to learn is to do. Even the experts around here, I am not one of them, have a catch from time to time and a pile of almost bowls.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Ordinarily, I wouldn't post an unfinished picture, but as this is my first and I'm waiting for it to drying I figure I can salvage it with some insight from some of you woodturning black belts. Constructive criticism welcomed. I have thick skin, let me have it.
P7080056.JPG

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Went up to the big city today to get a new chuck, as my Barracuda 2 wont fit on the new Jet. Was going to buy a Super Nova 2 but when I got to Woodcrafters, they had the G3 with 4 sets of jaws on sale for $150. How could I say no to that? Was out in the garage cleaning it and sweat about 15lbs of water so will have to wait for it to cool off a bit. I'm thinking of covering the walls in spruce and calling it a sauna.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks fine from here.:icon_thum what you might try is turn a green one to completion and finish it as soon as you are done sanding.:eusa_clap Don't finish the foot or if you use a recess don't get any finish it it yet.:swoon: leaving the bottom unfinished gives the moisture a way out. sometimes you get some kewl shapes and sometimes you get firewood.:gar-La;

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Finished the bowl today, three coats of wipe on poly. I decided to leave what was left of the bark on, kind of as a reminder of the mistakes I made.

I learned a lot in the making of this bowl. Besides what I mentioned above, I had to make a jam chuck to finish the outside, used a hacksaw as a parting tool and became familiar with the Ci tools I bought.

Overall I'm happy with the shape, for a piece of wood I found on the side of the street it looks alright.

Comments and advice needed and appreciated.
P101000623.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS