Three Cut Method for Squaring Fence on a Table Saw Sled

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most of us are familiar with the five cut method of squaring fence on table saw sled. But, do you know there is a three cut method, which could actually become a two cut method. Simply place a piece of plywood on sled after squaring fence a lose as possible. Make a cut on right side, then flip work end for end and make second cut. Measure cuts front and rear, then split the difference to know how much to adjust fence. There is a video showing how to do this on you tube.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Would that be from Sam Blasco? Sam is the US rep for MINIMAX and is a great source of info especially for sliding table saws and such that they make.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I only problem I see with that method is I do not have a 12” or larger dial caliper

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The concept of 3,4, 5 cut is it magnified the error making measurement easier. ( and I happen to have a 12 inch caliper). No dial, but I know how to read a Vernier. :p

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a 24 x 24 piece, allow slightly smaller now, to square my slider table. After 4 cuts, the fifth cut is only about .250 wide and I shoot for less than .010 differential from leading and trailing edge

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I use my one cut method. Using 1/8 or 1/4 mdf or ply, with a known straight edge, rip a piece so both sides are parallel. The longer and wider the better. I use about 4 x 24. Crosscut in the middle. Flip one piece 180 (not end to end).

Pull the cut ends together so they fit tight. I usually pull together with tape.

Lay a straight edge along the edges of the two pieces and if it touches the test piece full length it is perfect. If the straight edge touches both ends but not the joint area it is off. If it touches the joint area but not both ends it is off.

If you need to cut to recheck, stack the two pieces and cut a little off the end of both. Flip one piece end to end with the cut ends together and flip one piece over 180 and check as above.

Been using this method for years. Never could understand why the 5 cut method was needed. I like the “kiss” method.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I only problem I see with that method is I do not have a 12” or larger dial caliper
Phil, create your own. Make it 24" if you need. Google 3 cut method for table saw sled. When you see how it's done, it will be a "Smack to the forehead, I could have had a V-8" moment." I stiil have a red bruise from when I first saw this yesterday.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS