Threat to Black Walnut Trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
The May/June 2009 issue of Fine Woodworking posted the following letter:

I a a professor of entomology at Colorado State University, where we have discovered a new insect-carried fungus called Thousand Cankers, which poses an extreme threat to black walnut in North America. Currently, we think the disease is restricted to the western US, where it looks like it will kill all black walnuts within a decade or so; in some areas, most of the trees have already died.

It would be devastating if someone were to move (ship) a walnut log that contains walnut-twig beetles into areas where black walnut is native (much of the eastern half of the US).

No walnut logs with bark intact should be moved eastward. Kiln-dried boards are thought to be safe, howeer. For more information go to http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/0813_alert.pdfhttp://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/0812_alert.pdf

--- Whitney Cranshaw, CSU

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for posting this Susan, we should all be aware of the danger of propagating pests. Just from my own observations several species have been endangered by various diseases and pests :gar-Cr :

Ash
Chestnut
Elm
Pines
Hemlocks

I am sure there are others but the bottom line is that our trees are a precious resource and we should all take heed when the experts warn us. :wsmile:

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Thanks for posting this Susan, we should all be aware of the danger of propagating pests. Just from my own observations several species have been endangered by various diseases and pests :gar-Cr :

Ash
Chestnut
Elm
Pines
Hemlocks

I am sure there are others but the bottom line is that our trees are a precious resource and we should all take heed when the experts warn us. :wsmile:

We lost all our memosas and our dogwoods have something too but they are still alive. We've lost some young elms in the past. We had memosa on 2 other proerties which we have sold and they all died too. I have walnut in my yard and I'm growing about 20 seedlings. It gets painful to watch your trees die and know that by the time you realize they are dying it's too late.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi , thanks for the interesting info, here in Hawaii we have the same problem but from bugs, it is attacking the Koa and the native Wiliwili, not to mention others, aloha.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors