Threads Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
When attempting to use the "my threads" and "my posts" buttons from the search drop down menu I get the infamous 404 error message. :gar-Cr

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I get it too, but I had to clear my browser's cache to reproduce it. For some reason, the URL to the "my posts" and "my threads" is missing the /forum piece, resulting in the 404 Error. The fix will take about 15 seconds, finding where inside vBulletin this particular piece of information resides....
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks, seems to be working now :eusa_danc:icon_thum:eusa_clap:gar-Bi
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; GTB6; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
We are getting closer. The problem seems to only happen if you click on the Blue Tab "Home" at the top of the page (or "Home Page" at the bottom).

It puts you in a different place, which changes the search links, aka breaks them.

Just don't ask me why, or how in the world we are gonna fix it :)

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1

Glennbear

Glenn
We are getting closer. The problem seems to only happen if you click on the Blue Tab "Home" at the top of the page (or "Home Page" at the bottom).

It puts you in a different place, which changes the search links, aka breaks them.

Just don't ask me why, or how in the world we are gonna fix it :)

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1

Jim:

Most of my IT experience dates back to the era of tape drives and punch cards. :gar-La; I did however during my working career spend more than a few hours doing criminal investigations and one of the tools used was taking known facts to build a theory and seeing if it held up. Using that logic I submit to you:

To confirm your findings I tried accessing the link from the "Home Page" and our friend 404 popped up. The "Home Page" is where a non registered user enters our sawdust pile and as a non registered user one would not have any threads/posts ergo a search for same would be an inoperable command. Perhaps our software is treating any user on the home page as non registered? I do not know if this is any help other than pointing out my IT naviete'. :dontknow:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; GTB6; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I like you thought process there!

Sadly, I'm pretty sure its not that smart of a problem.

Much of our software uses a "sessionurl" to create the full URL. If you go to "Home Page", you'd see the sessionurl is "http://www.ncwoodworker.net" while 99% of the other links you follow on our site, your sessionurl is "http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums".

The later url is the one we want.

As I understand it, that is.

The complexity comes in as figuring out where and what we tweak to fix it. There are a lot of layers of software working here. Odds are good we fix one, break another.

I appreciate your testing out my assumptions. :eusa_clap

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, I'm going to sapre you the details. The word circuitous is being kind.

Could you try the test with both "My Threads", and the "JMC99 My Posts".

My Threads should still be broken (404 Page not found).

I'm reasonably certain the JMC99 My Posts link will work in this situation.

Thanks,
Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My Threads broken as expected
JMC99 My Posts working as hoped.

:eusa_clap
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS