Thoughts on Router Table Insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am getting ready to build a new router table. I have bought a new insert for my P-C 690 router. Since I don't do any heavy routing the 690 is all I need. However, I just read a couple of books by Pat Warner who does not favor an insert, but screws his routers directly to the table top.

Since Pat is kind of the guru of routerdom, what are your thoughts on router table inserts vs. no insert?

woodnick

New User
Nick
I have a few tools on a list that will be the last to leave my shop:icon_cheers. My Jessem Router Riser is on that list. Now on to you question, 1st off how do you change bits quickly if the router is mounted directly to the top?:dontknow:. With the insert it's just lift it out and its right there or with my Jessem I just crank it up and change the bit.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'd go with an insert as well. You might decide that you do want to upgrade to a bigger different router at some point. Then you'd either be stuck with holes in your nice router table top or you'd have to go ahead an put in an insert at that point (or replace the top). As previously mentioned it is easier to get to the router with a lift out insert as well. This will be especially important if this is your only router and will be going on and off the table with some frequency. You can also buy various sized throat plates for your insert that will allow you to safely use larger bits.

Travis

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Get a 1/4" aluminum insert. I have the 3-1/4HP Triton and built a table a few months ago. Even though this router allows one hand bit changing above the table, I'd do it the same way again. A plate gives you the opportunity to use zero clearance inserts with a minimum loss of depth. If you attach the router directly to the table, it needs to be thicker and you loose some maximum bit height, doubly more if you design an inset for zero clearance plates.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
For many years I had my router mounted directly to the table. In one scenario, the collet would not come up above the table height so I was always working from below. In the second scenario I had a free standing Rebel router table that I would sit up on a bench and use. It was high and I had 2 different routers in it. One where the collet went above the table, and one that didn't. Not a big deal in either scenario.

Overall, I had no issues with not using an insert plate. The key for me was the router was not enclosed so I had access to it. If you do go this route, I would suggest you need to "hollow out" the space where the router base will sit so that it is say not over 3/8" thick.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
If you are okay with having to drop the motor out every time you need to change a bit it will work.
The main draw back with mounting to the table is the bit height you'll be loosing. This can lead to the temptation to chuck the bit toward the end which is not recommended.
The way to mount direct without the height issue would be to make the top, cut out a hole the size of the router base, then cover the entire top with Lexan. Mount the router to the Lexan in the opening. Height would be the same as in an insert but not floating around needing adjustment.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Although I agree with Pat on most things router, I disagree on this. My first router tables used direct mount because there weren't any plates then. The plate allows more options for the user,i.e. starting pin holes don't wear, inset rings interchangeability and general quick access to the router.

MarkZ

New User
Mark
I'd agree with using an insert. I just switched routers from a PC plunge to a Milwaukee - what a huge improvement in use (more power, easier to adjust, easier to turn on and off). Meanwhile my insert now has more holes in it - much better than more holes in my table.

I'd also vote for aluminum or steel plates. I've got a synthetic insert which is nice since it didn't quite set and I've planed it, but it flexes just the slightest bit if you're pushing really hard on it which can be annoying if you're obsessive.

Mark

Glennbear

Glenn
I vote for an insert but for a reason not previously mentioned. I am a bit obsessive about keeping my power tools free of accumulated sawdust/gunk and being plate mounted makes it possible to take a soft brush and air hose to the router without a hassle. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS