Thoughts on diamond stones

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I bought a 2-sided 400/1000 diamond stone on sale a few years ago; the kind with the plastic substrate. The diamond surface substrate has delaminated and its time to upgrade. I intend to sharpen chisels and plane irons and would be looking for 3X8 or larger surface. Any thought on the 'best' combination of grits, either on a single substrate or multiple stones, and specific models or brands would be greatly appreciated. Price is not an obstacle but I'm always interested in a good buy as long as the quality is there. Thanx in advance.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I have the DMT dia-sharp 3x8 stones and they work well. Xcoarse to flatten a waterstone, a course, fine, and extra fine. I use the fine and extra fine mostly. DMT probably has a reference to compare grit with mesh size. I've had the Fine for many years and it still cuts well.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
+1 for DMT diamond stones. I have the Dia-Sharp (8"x3") and the Duo-sharp (8"x2-5/8") double sided stones. They work great wet or dry and last a long time.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have one with a plastic body the 120/180, my 320, 600 and 1200 are a solid steel plate. All my others are ceramic Shapton.

TBH, Just depends on the tool. My cabinet chisels, I sharpen to 12000 before stropping. My carpentry tools usually only do that once when setting them up the 1st time. After that to touch up a carpenter chisel it is usually 1200 then 5000 then strop.
On planes, I sharpen-hone and strop just like the cabinet chisel.

All my stones are 3"x 8"

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
DMT or Trend. I wouldn’t waste my money on any off brands.

I used only the 600 for many years, now have many.

400/1000 is a good all round pair. Something coarser and one between speed things up if you have space for all to be out on a bench always. I leave mine set out now and never waste time getting out or putting up.

if the edge is dull grind on the slow speed grinder then a few strokes on each stone and you are back to work. Otherwise work the two finest stones and touch up often.

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I use the 8" DMT.... x-coarse, coarse, fine and x-fine. If I lost them today I'd buy them again tomorrow. I don't use the x-coarse nearly as much since I bought a slow speed wet grinder but it's still nice to have.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have pretty much concluded to stop diamonds around 600. So flattening or primary bevel. I either go paper or paper on the worksharp. I have a 1200, but just think I do better on glass. Foer serious work, yea, DMT I trust. I am sure there are others, but I now theirs are good.

What is really handy is some cheap 240, 400, and 600 blocks I use for making things flat. Worked like a champ on the new TS top that had a course grind. I will probably dress the bed of the cheap lathe I just picked up. Can't beat them for finding a high point, breaking an edge etc.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Thanks for all the helpful advise. I need to think about exactly what I’ll get but but DMT looks like the way to go.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You can search the WEB to understanding the different bonding methods for the diamonds, mono vs poly crystalline, density, etc. I know DMT is good but some others are as well.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
A couple more thoughts on DMT.

They are a USA based company, Marlborough, MA. All their products are made in the USA.
They have great customer service if you need it, via email or telephone.
Home

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
DMT DIaSharp 3 x 8 for me. I bought a set from Lee Valley a few years ago (coarse, med, fine) and they have done me well. As others have said, the med (600g) gets the most use. I use the coarse to re-establish the primary bevel, removing chipped places on chisels, etc; the med for most sharpening; and the fine for the last few licks before the strop. I use Windex (non-ammonia) for the lubricant, and it keeps the stones clean without any rust issues or build-up.

I prefer the solid metal plates as opposed to the honey-comb styles.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yea, solids cut faster as they have about twice the surface. My one DMT is the large 600/1200 open. One of these days I'll replace it. It was my first quality one, so I was going frugal.

Thought about just water with a few drops of dish soap. Maybe antifreeze as it has rust inhibitors in it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS