Thoughts on a Basic face vise

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
One never knows what will pop into my head on my morning walk.

Today’s thought was for another vise project themed “Bench vise for the viseless”. The goal would be a plan for a usable wooden bench vise that could be built for a few tens of dollars. Materials would probably involve home center SYP and dumbbell handle screws from Walmart.

Is there any interest in such a plan for a primary or secondary bench vise?

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I sent pop-pop a prepaid shipping label this morning for him to mail me one of his great prototypes (his shoulder vise) and want to thank him for his creativity and generosity! I'll be following this thread to see what he comes up with here, too.

Unknownroad

New User
Sarah
I would definitely be interested in this. My current workbench doesn't have a shoulder vise, so this is a project that's currently on my to-do list without any specific design in mind.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I would definitely be interested in this. My current workbench doesn't have a shoulder vise, so this is a project that's currently on my to-do list without any specific design in mind.
My recent shoulder vise was designed as a portable vise. For this project, I am thinking of a vise firmly attached to the bench with say lag screws.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Always fun to make a vise. I'm in, if you'll have me.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
After several walks I have a design in my head. Hardest part was figuring out a way to do the garter function. (A garter is what pulls the chop when opening a wooden vise.). Did pick a name “Basic bench vise” and renamed this thread.

Next is some CAD work to draw the “cartoons”.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
For the Basic bench vise design, I plan on using these dumbbell handles. One screw is for clamping, the other for the reaction, and they are arranged vertically. This is the same screw that was used in the tall vise workshops and all of the tall vises that I have built.
IMG_3421.jpeg

I bring this up now because pricing and availability vary. Today I bought two at WalMart for $11.97 each (pre-Covid, they were $6.97 each). Online only at Walmart, the price is $7.20 each, two for $11.97. Available other places at varying prices.

After removing the rubber handle, the screw looks like this:
IMG_3422.jpeg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Sounds like you are suggest we get a couple if we plan to build this vice. did I read that right?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
SIgn me up.
At this point, nothing to sign.

I am planning on developing a bench vise design that can be customized to fit various benches. A bolted-on bench vise like I’m thinking of does not lend itself to a workshop very well due to bench variations. The tall vise like you made that fits almost any bench (or picnic table) thus was good for a workshop.

My goal with this project is to try to remove high cost and complication as a barrier to making a decent wooden vise.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
At this point, nothing to sign.

I am planning on developing a bench vise design that can be customized to fit various benches. A bolted-on bench vise like I’m thinking of does not lend itself to a workshop very well due to bench variations. The tall vise like you made that fits almost any bench (or picnic table) thus was good for a workshop.

My goal with this project is to try to remove high cost and complication as a barrier to making a decent wooden vise.

Would these be plans and supplies lists we could get and make on our own then?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS