Thomas Jefferson bookstand

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm in the process of making this bookstand from South American mahogany. This picture is the one at Monticello and it's also mahogany with a "hand rubbed" finish-I'm trying pure tung oil now. Probably not tinted lacquer or garnet shellac, but TBD.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 4.59.27 PM.png

A WIP in segments. The revolving frame is on a lazy susan and the notches for raising/tilting the adjustable easel panels were interesting.

P1010024.png

The 4 easel panels are a mitered box that fits over the revolving frame.

P1010026.png

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks folks. It'll be awhile before it's finished but I'm not in a big hurry. Roy Underhill sent me his plan (a plan of sorts) and I'm kind of going by the seat of my pants from that. Roy has a video overview about this online but it doesn't have much how-to-do information.

The pure tung oil on a few test pieces of the mahogany looks pretty good so far. Can any of you tell me what a "hand rubbed" finish is supposed to be? I've seen the term used a lot but can't find out what is is or how it's done. ??????

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Leave it to Tom J. for something very innovative while still serving a practical use. Just about everything he designed is pure magic. Your project looks great.

Pop

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tried pure tung oil on the mahogany. I like the reddish color and then maybe just some wax to finish it.

P1010028.png

enobles

New User
Earl
It was some extra cherry I had. Just used satin Minwax polyurethane. The bright light caused the redness. It was fun. Thomas Jefferson could have five books at a time open to read. Everything fold up to a cube.

They sell them at Monticello. They run over $600.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS