Thomas Day Event - October 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This fall there were be an exhibit of the works of Thomas Day at the Raleigh Museum. Our own Jerome Bias is a resident expert on Thomas Day. Jerome has agreed to conduct a special guided tour for North Carolina Woodworker members.:notworthy:

The event is free. :icon_thum The tour will be on the afternoon of Saturday October 9th. Prior to the tour we are looking to meet up for lunch. :eusa_danc

To make this manageable we will need to limit the event to 25 North Carolina Woodworker members and there guests.

The price is right. The company is great. You will be treated to some wonderful workmanship and in-depth incite from one of our own. SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,

Which Buffalo Brothers location?

bobby g

Bobby we are planning to go to the one on Capital Blvd. It is in the same shopping center as Klingspor. We figured this will give all the opportunity for food, fun, education, and of course tools.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We still have a couple slots left for this great opportunity. Don't miss out.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe I signed up a month ago but I do not remember seeing any verification. Is there a list?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I was just checking on the times for this event, and you have to go to the sign-up page to find them. So here they are:

The two hour tour will begin at 1:30 pm.

Meet for lunch at Buffalo Brothers on Capital Blvd. around 11:30 am

The Klingspor parking lot will be a good place to meet just before the tour.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For those who wish to car pool from the Raleigh Klingspor park lot and not meet for lunch, be there no later then 1:00.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
So what's up with this Thomas Day dude? (longish)

After a few comments from a few people I thought that it might be useful to point out what the big deal is about Thomas day and this exhibit that is up over at the museum.
For me there are areas of significance: woodworking American History.

1. In the world of woodworking he is a big deal because his story astounds me how similar the woodworking world of the 19th century is so very similar to the woodworking world of today. Today we worry about cheap imports and knock-offs, the cost of labor, the morality of the labor that we use, sourcing materials, and meeting the fickle desires of a changing clientele.

At the time that he was operating the furniture making industry of the South had been decimated by imports from Northern furniture factories. He went around this problem by offering furniture in the same styles and at or above the level of execution as his Northern competitors. He sold a wide variety of products, from cradles and buffets, to coffins and mantle pieces. Using a variety of labor sources and one of the earliest introductions of a steam engine he was able to sell his goods at a lover price than the Northern imports.

Yes he used slave labor (more on that later), but he also hired white master cabinetmakers and at times had 20 people working in his shop.

His work is an excellent example of Southern furniture. What do I mean by that? One of the wonderful results of our decentralized population patterns here in the south is that often a new cabinetmaker would settle in an area and express his own style of design and construction and that style would become widespread through out that region. The result is that we have a lot of regional styles that express different ethnicities, nationalities, and just different styles. This didn’t happen quite as often up North where the population density often dictated the styles of furniture over large areas.

I find Day’s work interesting to study and see how he was combining the use of hand tools and power tools and how the combination effected his designs and how he was still able to give many pieces a unique touch.

2. On the historical social front we have always know that African Americans were craftsmen, but there is little documentation of their work. Thomas Day is the best documented African American antebellum crafts person out there. For many of us we were raised thinking that blacks were just either working in the big house or out in the field picking cotton. Having to deal with the concept of a free black man who was the largest cabinetmaker in the state is big shake up for many of us. It has made me revisit the fact that ½ of the population of Williamsburg was Black. I now wonder just who was working in the Hay Cabinet shop.

The fact that he owned and used slave labor is a big deal. There were many reasons for owning slaves. They could be family members, they could be friends, they could be servants, they could be people that you are training in a craft and allowing to buy their freedom. They could also be a way of not only gaining acceptance by white America, but also providing protection for one’s family from that same society.

The fact that Thomas Day used many of these reasons provides a perspective on American life that many have never seen before. The fact that we know that he was good friends well known abolitionist, when such friendships could have cost him his business and his life raises many new questions about American society. We now get to look at who were these free Blacks, how did they walk the differing lines of society? How were they able to find a place between burning the place down and being completely accepting of slavery?

3. For me personally Thomas Day is a big deal, because his story allows me to put my ancestors in a more honest perspective. Yes, we picked cotton, and pulled peanuts, but we were also blacksmiths for the plantations, builders for our state capital, good businessmen, and woodworkers. I think that it is just cool. Woodworkers rock!!

Jerome Bias

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jerome thanks for the write up.

Folks there is still time to sign-up and attend this special guided tour.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice piece Jerome. I'm really looking forward to hearing more tomorrow. As you said, it's a different perspective on that period of our Southern history.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For those meeting at Buffalo Brothers for lunch I have made a reservation under the name NC Woodworker.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks Jim. I don't think there was any shortage of pics taken. I'll try to get mine uploaded tomorrow.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jerome on behalf of NCWW and it's members thank you.

I was luck enough to arrange my schedule and attend this event. Jerome did a wonderful job detailing the man, the events, and the workmanship of Thomas Day. It is truly amazing. Photos are coming soon.

For those of you who could not attend, you really need to explore the exhibit. It is well worth the trip.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jerome,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us the tour today. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm a history buff and was pleasantly surprised to learn the history behind the man who produced so many pieces that I find out of this world and the obstacles that he overcame to do so. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up Thank you very much for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors