This will make you shake your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Turning a tree into a porch column on a homebuilt lathe. I could barely watch the roughing in process.

16 minute video:

[video=youtube;xM32kvXaX0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM32kvXaX0s[/video]

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
curly voice on.... hey Moe LOOK! whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop...:eek:
wonder if he will use a CA finish on that.:rolleyes:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
The axe is used to help smooth out the lager bumps - so it cna turn more freely. Lovely operation, NOT!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The axe is used to help smooth out the lager bumps - so it cna turn more freely. Lovely operation, NOT!
If I were ever going to turn it would have to be on a scale such as this.

Truth be known - I have been eye balling the lathe-mizer for quite sometime now. I'm just waiting for the right paying job to come up in order to justify the purchase. Ain't no sense in buying it if I don't have a use for it and can't make a few Ben Franklin's off of it.

http://woodmizer.com/us/PortableEquipment/OptionsAccessories/LCeid/164813/lathe-mizer

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
That thread reminded me of one some guy from north of the border did a couple years back. He had a large bowl blank mounted to a face plate he had adapted to the drive wheel on his mini van with the van on a jack stand. Using a bar staked to the ground, he roughed it in with a gouge he made from 2" pipe that was ~6 feet long with the handle. His buddy was the speed controller by sitting in the driver's seat with his foot on the throttle as required. At least this guy was inside.......... My question is what happens when it checks open?

Richo B

New User
Richo
There was an episode of Duck Dynasty where they put a huge piece of wood or tree trunk on a lathe to make a massive duck call. Instead it resulted in the sort of lathe accident that you would think such a thing would cause. I remember it even knocked the face guard out. But the face guard wasn't made for blocking you from a rapidly spinning tree trunk.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
That thread reminded me of one some guy from north of the border did a couple years back. He had a large bowl blank mounted to a face plate he had adapted to the drive wheel on his mini van with the van on a jack stand. Using a bar staked to the ground, he roughed it in with a gouge he made from 2" pipe that was ~6 feet long with the handle. His buddy was the speed controller by sitting in the driver's seat with his foot on the throttle as required. At least this guy was inside.......... My question is what happens when it checks open?

To borrow a phrase from the movies, "Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise" comes to mind. :eek:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
AnatolyTsiris-2.jpg​Believe it or not there is a way to do this safely. I have a friend here in the Charlotte area named Anatoly Tsiris who turns "vessels". He has a wood yard of tree sections. A couple of overhead cranes to move the logs out of the yard and into his shop. His lathe is custom made of "I" beams, DC motor. His hollowing tools are steel rods 8 ft. long. He rough turns green and seasons for around a year before finishing turning. His work is beautiful!

Pop

View attachment 17009

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I hate that he leaves a big nasty un-round section at the end. Even after the main part of the tree is round, that nasty thing is there to grab something and break it.

Interesting video. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS