This Weekends Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Thought I posted this, but can't find it so here goes.

Another in my kitless bottle stopper attempts. This still needs a cork. Red Bed, finished with a lot of CA, we sanded with 400, then sanded up to 12k with micro mesh then three wheel buffed.
Red_Bud_BS.jpg

This is the second in a series of bowl I'm trying using a 7/4 plank of Cherry that's been drying in a buddies stack for 15 years. The insert is Spalted Holly and finished with Deft Satin Brushing Lacquer. i chose it because it doesn't darken the wood. I'm not at all happy with the accent band, but have a few ideas for the next version. Also, the inside curve of the Holly doesn't match the outside curve of the Cherry so need to sort that out in the next run. The Cherry is finish with multiple coats of Formby's Tung Oil and all are three wheel buffed.
Joys_Bowl_Topish.jpg

Here is the bottom. I finished it using my homemade vacuum chuck I described in an earlier thread.
Joys_Bowl_Bot.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comment and criticism appreciated.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Cathy, it was too shiny and when I went to apply the finish it caused the ink to run. I wanted the band to be about a 1/16 to an 1/8 lower than the edges but in order to clean up the ink I had to lower the edges........if that makes any sense.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice looking work Nate!
that spalted holly is wonderful stuff.
Stopper wood is very nice. Like the inlace. Is that crushed turqoise?

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
CaptnA,

I'm way too cheap to buy turquois :gar-Bi. This is verdigris embossing powder from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You can find it in the scrap booking section for a buck or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS