This weekend project for the LOML

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
She want some shelves like this for the bed room to put some more cr@p on:roll: I have an idea on how to build them, but am looking for any advice from those with more experience.
My plan is to attach a strip of 3/4" stock 16+" long and about 1.5-2" wide to the studs and create a torsion box assembly out of stock the same thickness with mitered 1/4" ply skins. Then paint the whole deal. It will be installed by slipping the box over the piece screwed to the wall and have a few small screws to hold everything in place.

cornershelves.jpg

Do I have a workable plan, or am I headed down the road to major :BangHead: :BangHead: I appreciate y'alls opinions. Thanks, Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow, good question Dave. Your mounting idea sounds to me like it would work. IMO, it would be nice if you could figure out some way to attach it to the wall mounted cleat without screws though. Is there any way you could incorporate some sort of French cleat to hang on the wall? Just thinking out loud here.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DL that's a good idea. I could make the bottom skin shorter and split the mounting block at a 45º to create a French cleat. One half in the shelf and the other mounted on the wall, but to mount the cleat to the wall wouldn't it extend below the thickness of the shelf????

Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Dave,

what you first described is how the same sort of idea was executed on one of those home improvement shows that has since migrated to 4:00 AM television. My wife wants those same shelves.:!:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yea, that picture came out of a Lowe's Creative Ideas magazine. But it had no information on how they were made. I believe I've seen a show like what you mentioned, but only vaguely remember the details. You gonna make the LOYL some this weekend too, or do I have to be the guinea pig??

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
DL that's a good idea. I could make the bottom skin shorter and split the mounting block at a 45º to create a French cleat. One half in the shelf and the other mounted on the wall, but to mount the cleat to the wall wouldn't it extend below the thickness of the shelf????

Dave, I didn't think of leaving the bottom skin shorter. That's a great idea.:icon_thum Depending on how you cut the width of the cleat, you could leave it a little proud of the bottom skin surface until the shelf is completely built then rip the lower portion of the cleat to be flush with the bottom skin surface just prior to mounting the lower half to the wall. Clear as mud, right?:lol:

D L

Last edited:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Sorry Dave, I am in NY this weekend (Home of the Yankees!), So you will have to be the guinea pig. I am, however, going to make some simple shelves for my mom... If I had the materials here, I might try one of those. The local lumber yards close at or before 2 on Saturdays around here. nearest lowes or BORG is about 80-100 miles.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
when I get around to making them I believe I could make them a little better. Look at the high quality wood in "Figure B"

That is some pretty rough looking stock they are using. Of course I guess it lets folks know they can build these selves with stuff found at the BORG.

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I can't believe they used wood that bad for the TV project. I have seen wood that bad in the BORG's, but it has never taken more than a few minutes to sort out better pieces than that.... Time to fire the producers.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Dave,

I just made a set of these for a friend that is using them as shelves for his speakers for a home theater. Your first idea is the way to go with screws to attach to the cleat. If you do them on the top and counter sink them you will never see the screws once the shelf is up. The French cleat is a good idea but it leaves the shelf vulnerable if somebody bumps into it. I did the torsion box too with 1/4" and 1/2" ply and then wrapped the front 3 sides with hardwood that was mitered. I then rounded over the top edge and cut a bevel. They came out really nice, light and strong. I know, I know - no pictures it didn't happen. I'll shoot pictures once we get them up. His wife wanted them black so instead of paint, I did black anyline dye and lacquer. Tey are now black but the grain shows nicely.

cskipper

Cathy
I wonder if the board they were using would not actually be visible, possibly the upside of the shelves surrounded by trim and hung high enough on the wall. Since is was DIY perhaps they were making a point of not using "good" wood in places that you don't actually see in the finished product?

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I always thought this was pretty cool from Ikea - it's their "Lack" line of shelving. The shelf is about 2" thick and the bracket pictured above it is a steel flat with two steel tubes welded to it. The idea is that you create a recess in the back of the shelf that receives both the flat stock and the tubes. Attach the metal part to the wall, slide the shelf on and Voila! A "floating" shelf. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't load it up with encyclopedias, but it's still pretty cool...
(i snagged the pic from ebay since Ikea doesn't have any pics of the hardware)
19_1_b.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS