This May be One Reason Replacement Parts Are Expensive

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
One of our home-heating sources is a wood-burning furnace. We've had this furnace almost 20 years and some parts are beginning to show their age. This furnace has a blower that forces the heated air into our duct work (air handler in HVAC lingo) which was failing. I called the manufacturer, U. S. Stove Co., and ordered a replacement, we only needed a new motor but they only had the complete blower unit - $$368.00. Ouch!

The new blower arrived and we found it did not fit. The dimensions of the unit itself were not correct and the CFM rate was too low. I called USSC to arrang3e a return of the blower their parts department said would work. After a lengthy conversation with the parts dept. sales person I was informed that we would receive a credit to our credit card for the full amount and they did not want the blower returned, it should be "field destroyed." I explained that the blower had not been installed and was in new condition. The rep said that was their policy. Had this been a $20.00 part I would understand, but a +$300 part, go figure! I arranged for an off-the-shelf motor through our HVAC guy, installed $125.00.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
What you don't know is the blower cost them $30 and the logistics of return and restock was more than that. What would they do with it if it does not fit anyway? Throw it away! A lot of the high cost is stocking an inventory that does not move for 20 years.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Sign of the times. My Philips TV went poof, traced the fault to a IC which is not available. The power supply board is $360 plus $20 shipping. For $100 more a new 65” 4K TV was the solution.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS