This lamp possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

instanttaylor

New User
Taylor
I broke 1 of a pair of 2 lamps in our house and unfortunately, it's been discontinued. The other one is ceramic but it seems like it would be possible to build one with woodturning.

I, unfortunately, have no woodturning experience or equipment. So my questions to you fine people are:

1) Is it possible to make the lamp base out of wood? (I may be able to match the finish through numerous tests on other pieces of wood). I do have the shade, and will have to buy the electrical again, but that's not so hard.

2) How would I go about hiring someone to do something like this?

3) What would a reasonable ballpark be to make a lamp like this?

Some other info:
I have the other lamp, so getting exact dimensions is a possibility.
19" tall
The widest part pictured is 7.5"

Thanks!

See attached image.

unnamed.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That would be fairly easy to turn, the blank would be best glued up from some good kiln dried hardwood like maple or poplar.

Not sure what a fair price would be. I'm usually too cheap on my estmate then suffer on the hourly fee for taking too long to complete the project.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Taylor, what did the lamp cost when you bought it? Since you are getting a custom turning done to your requirements, you should expect to pay more than the lamp cost originally. Are you going to paint it, or can you go with a glued up blank like Mike suggests? There are a lot of turners on this site so you might have a lot of offers.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors