Thinking outside the box.....Shou Sugi Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looked like a lot of dirty, dusty work to me. Reminded me a little of some Oak pen blanks I have that are blackened on one side. They came from a Jack Daniels Barrel used to age the liquor.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I think it is a beautiful finish. It was a candidate for the finish on a recent project, but the process splintery edges on some ash test pieces. Seems best with flatsawn cypress or pine. Something with a wide grain.

Go For It! Looking forward to a build thread.

PS: do the burning outside otherwise the odor lingers in the house for weeks.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I did something similar on a pine bird house last year. Instead of charring the wood I made passes over it with a propane torch burning just enough to create contrasting grain patterns. Turned out pretty well and was a lot more interesting than the plain pine. Didn't need to go through that messy brushing stage in the video.

That said, there are probably losts of interesting things that can be done with varying degrees of burning the wood.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I think it is a beautiful finish. It was a candidate for the finish on a recent project, but the process splintery edges on some ash test pieces. Seems best with flatsawn cypress or pine. Something with a wide grain.

Go For It! Looking forward to a build thread.

PS: do the burning outside otherwise the odor lingers in the house for weeks.

:rotflm: I can see my wife now.... You did what? Your calling Servpro to get this smell out of my house!

JohnW

New User
John
Zach,
What type of project you thinking about for this? I read that they use this more for outdoor applications. Siding, decking...would make an interesting looking dock or boardwalk.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
So I've done some reading, watching videos of traditional Japanese furniture making and several other things. I saw a video where a very hot flat iron was moved over the wood surface which provided less char than the siding method. Afterward, the wood was scrubbed with a stiff bristle brush made of what looked to me as a bundle of broom material tightly bunched and neatly trimmed. This effectively removed the black spots and left the tiger striping on the dark growth rings which was then finished with oil. So I was looking for a project to fit it into to. The wife likes the expresso and dark colors, and this looks like a method to achieve that without hiding the grain with excessive stains and or paints. Just looked to me as a new way to skin the cat...
Zach,
What type of project you thinking about for this? I read that they use this more for outdoor applications. Siding, decking...would make an interesting looking dock or boardwalk.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
%u00252524_57.JPG

This is the toolbox that got me started on that finishing idea. Looks just like the colors that you mentioned.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I bet this technique would work great with tigerwood. I wonder where you could get some? You know, just some small pieces so that you don't have to expend too much effort.

K

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm using Shou Sugi Ban on a house I just finished designing. Typically cedar is a good choice. Traditionally, linseed oil is used as the final finish, but to me, that adds back the flammability, insect, and mold interests that the original carbonizing solved. Maybe a spar varnish?

Search on "yakisugi" for videos of the authentic Japanese triangular tube assembly that does three boards at a time in two minutes rather than burning tons of fuel with a torch. (Two of the best examples: Example 1, Example 2.)

I've seen it suggested as an interior or furniture finish, but I don't recommend it since the charring is both dirty and potentially cancer-causing.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
http://youtu.be/uvhvR8KwWhw

Thoughts? I am thinking about trying it.

I tried it out of curiosity on EWP instead of cedar, cypress, or fir. Very interesting and it doesn't smell like burnt wood after sealing with shellac.

1. ROS sanding for cleanup and wiped down with water.

P101000325.jpg

2. A light char with a Bernzomatic torch. Careful here and don't overdo it.

P101000422.jpg

3. Cleanup the char with OOO steel wool. Not very impressive and not really a dusty mess.

P101000524.jpg

4. Zinsser SealCoat (1# cut) brushed on 3 x and it soaks it up. It looks and feels good with a nice gloss which is not showing. The finger feel is like a washboard as you go across the grain in the charred area but the rest of the board is smooth in both directions.

P101000422.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bet this technique would work great with tigerwood. I wonder where you could get some? You know, just some small pieces so that you don't have to expend too much effort.

K
Yea, I hear that is pretty rare - too bad we don't know where to get some Tigerwood!
If someone has some they should tell us! :cool:

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I did a quick sample on a piece of Ash. It was as bought and you can still see the planer marks in it. Was a piece of flooring that I used to make my ToolChest, entry #10 in this thread
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54644 . I've been wondering how to finish it and this is the direction I'm going in.

plank was charred using a berzomatic torch with a fan tip. Then wire brushed by hand. I tried using a wire brush on a small angle grinder, but the wire at that speed it to aggresive and plows out furrows. I wiped it down then burnished it with a piece of hard plastic. Finally gave it a coat of a buffable furniture wax with Beeswax and carnuba in it. This was just one coat but I will do several when I do the chest. The color from charring is tough enough to survive a wire brushing so I think it will work for a finish and it is certainly easy to touch up. the inside will just get wax. will post the chest when it is finsihed.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Afterward, the wood was scrubbed with a stiff bristle brush made of what looked to me as a bundle of broom material tightly bunched and neatly trimmed. This effectively removed the black spots and left the tiger striping on the dark growth rings which was then finished with oil. So I was looking for a project to fit it into to.

Sounds like a polissoir.

http://donsbarn.com/polissoir-line-up-now-complete/

Attachments

• image-3932336067.jpg
    image-3932336067.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 116

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thanks Mark, I have a bar of carnauba and some beeswax. I might try the home brew option.
Then again I was thinking this weekend that my floors could use some wax, so maybe the can will come in handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors