Thinking of building

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
a workshop next to my house. There's an interesting thread over on woodnet talking about the different types of construction, the building costs in different areas of the country, and the work that can be sub-contracted out and the work that can be done by the home owner.

I'm considering a metal building from MiracleTruss about 30 X 40, perhaps with a half basement. My thought was to build it so that the front part could be used as a garage, even though I would use the entire structure for a workshop. By designing it so that it can be used as a garage, I thought it would increase the value of the property so that my heirs won't have too much trouble selling it when they put me in the home or have to pay for my funeral. :)

Anyway, before I make any major decisions, I thought it would be good to get some feedback from some of the other people on this site who may have experience or thoughts about this endeavor.

Hope we get a good discussion going about this.

Larry

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
A friend of mine just put up a steel building and loves it. He assembled it himself (thousands and thousands of bolts), but said it wasn't as bad as the THOUSANDS of bolts made it sound.

He got it from some company in NC. I will try to get the name / number if you want. He is on vacation now, so it will be at least a week.

J

jeff...

Any shop is a good shop. But I think your very smart going with a width of 30'. Reason I say that is; lets say your planer is in the middle of the shop. With 30' you could plan a 14' board (14', front and back) of the machine. And with 40' you could plan even more than that.

My shop is 16' by 32' and about 12' long is all I can do unless I open the back door. When it comes to length and width, bigger is better in a wood shop.

One other thing to consider is windows, they suck up wall space, sapce that could be used to place a machine.

The next shop I build, I will do things differntly. But I sure am happy I have a wood shop.

just my two cents...

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Larry, when I built my 26' x 32' shop about 5 years ago I put two garage doors on the front of it for the exact same reason you mentioned. I have yet to park a car in there but it will certainly pay off if I ever decide to sell.

I also concur with Jeff's comments on windows. I installed four 2' x 4' skylights in lieu of windows and they work great for me.

D L

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
D L Ames said:
I installed four 2' x 4' skylights in lieu of windows and they work great for me.

D L

Great idea. I thought of skylights, but never thought of installing them instead of windows. How did you insulate the garage doors? It gets pretty cold up here in the mountains and insulation and heat is a concern.

Larry

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I know that my Dad (in NY) cut pieces of the 2" rigid foam insulation and glued it on the inside of his fiberglass garage door. Super efficient? No, not really. But other than buying a very expensive insulated garage door it's a sufficient lower budget alternative.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
lbmallett said:
How did you insulate the garage doors? It gets pretty cold up here in the mountains and insulation and heat is a concern.

Larry

Larry, the doors I had installed are manufactured by Wayne Dalton and come insulated. Their 9000 series doors have an R value rated at R-10. I know R-10 isn't much but it is better then nothing. Wayne Dalton also offer a great garage door opener for their doors that is not much larger than a loaf of bread and mounts to the header above the door so you have now door opener tracks interfering with your head room.

Here is a link to Wayne Dalton and a pic of the door opener.

idrive_ProductShot.gif

D L

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
One thing to consider is the overhead hardware on a garage door can interfere with dust pipe installation and lights... I opted for a site built swinging door instead.

One thing I am finding very useful in my new shop is the steel beam I installed and chain hoist. Just today I lifted up the head stock on my new drill press to sit it down on the shaft, normally a two person job. Also unloaded the thing from the bed of my truck along with my new cyclone. Its turning out to be a very handy thing to have.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
D L Ames said:
Larry, the doors I had installed are manufactured by Wayne Dalton and come insulated. Their 9000 series doors have an R value rated at R-10. I know R-10 isn't much but it is better then nothing. Wayne Dalton also offer a great garage door opener for their doors that is not much larger than a loaf of bread and mounts to the header above the door so you have now door opener tracks interfering with your head room.

Here is a link to Wayne Dalton and a pic of the door opener.

idrive_ProductShot.gif

D L

I installed two of these openers when I built my double car garage. I really like them. Easy to install and no chain, etc. to get in the way overhead and they come with two remotes for automobiles, a coded exterior keypad, a wireless wall control and a overhead light that comes on when the door is opened. The light plugs into an electrical outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS