Thinking About a ShopSmith Mark V

Status
Not open for further replies.

helmswatch

New User
Duke
Been looking at the ShopSmith website. Seeing that my tool inventory is really lame and lacking, what are your thoughts on Mark V. My interests lie on small projects like reproductions of lighthouses, ships, wall hanging dodads, ect. The machine seems to be pricey but to this novice, it appears to cover a multitude of power tools, and if the quality is there, I thought it might bear consideration.

For the time being, my shop is 6.5' x 20', so I have to decide which way I want to face when in it before I actually go into it!

M

McRabbet

Don't know much about the ShopSmiths, but several owners on the site will chime in -- I was more intrigued by your shop dimensions -- sounds more like you're still on board a vessel somewhere!! :lol:

Rob
helmswatch said:
Been looking at the ShopSmith website. Seeing that my tool inventory is really lame and lacking, what are your thoughts on Mark V. My interests lie on small projects like reproductions of lighthouses, ships, wall hanging dodads, ect. The machine seems to be pricey but to this novice, it appears to cover a multitude of power tools, and if the quality is there, I thought it might bear consideration.

For the time being, my shop is 6.5' x 20', so I have to decide which way I want to face when in it before I actually go into it!

helmswatch

New User
Duke
I like that cozy feeling! :lol: For 4 1/2 years we lived on a 30' sailboat with three dogs and another woman! One could sit on the head, cook breakfast, chart a course, talk on the radio and change the channel on the tv.

I have a detatched garage that I eventually will use but I can't see the water off our backyard from there!!! After living on boats for 10 years, I have to take baby steps living on terra firma! lol

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
There is a Shopsmith Mark V (?) for sale listed in a local trader paper here in Fayetteville, somewhere. I left it at work, maybe I can remember to bring it home tonight, and give you the contact info. The price seemed high-ish, but the description said it included optional machinery like the band saw, and various other bits.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I bought one in 1980 and still have it, although I've added a few other tools to the mix. The saw table on the Shopsmith is very small and adjusts up and down, plus tilts. This is not a problem with small pieces, in fact it's handy, but a real aggravation with anything large. Ebay has a large selection of shopsmith items, but like Shopsmith itself, they want a good price for what they're selling. For example, a replacement motor unit (varible speed sheaves and quill) sells new for $1,300.00.
If I had to work in the space you described, and build the type of projects you mentioned, I'd opt for bench tools along the long wall. And I'd look at used.
Good luck,
Joe

helmswatch

New User
Duke
Thanks for the input....hope some others will share their opinions and thoughts. Irene and I are having alot of fun with this new endevor and we really like this site. Great people.

Now all we have to do is make something!

Duke & Irene (She's the good looking one)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I have been through three Shopsmiths since the mid-70's, all of them used. I started out with a 10-ER that my father-in-law gave me, moved up to a Shopsmith Mark V and now have a Shopsmith Mark V 500. I still use it for a number of tasks.

Over the years it has been my first lathe, my first table saw, my first and only drill press and still serves as my 12" disc sander, drum sander, light shaper, horizontal borer and a few other things. As Bladeburner said the Shopsmith has its limitations but if you keep it properly aligned it will do good work for you. They are certainly expensive these days and if you can find a used one in good shape that is the way to go.

If your space is only 6 1/2' wide will you have enough room to turn it around to be able to rip wood of any length? You need room in front and behind any tool to be able to use it.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
I have an ols Mark V from the 60's and it still goes strong. It has its limits and as mentioned above the table saw table is small but I find ways to work around that. For home projects and small crafts it is a great machine. For commercial grade I would look elswhere but I have had great cuts with mine. It needs to be properly alighned and that took me a while since the previous owner had it a little out of wack. I am not complaining because it was given to me just to get it out of the guys garage. My actual work area in my shop is about 7 X 10 and I can turn it any way I need it. It works out great for my small work area. I also love the speed control system. I hope this helps.:icon_thum

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I've have a late 70's Mark V 500.

I work in a 12x12 shop and it fit well into my space. It is an instant mobile platform that gives you lots of options.

In my dealings with the company, totally top notch. They know the products, how to fix them and reply quickly.

Parts and tools are more expensive than a shop full of cheap tools. But, they are top quality. Also, tons of parts on ebay and shopsmith has constant sales going on.

So far, I've found it to be a solid tool. Setup is no better or worse than most tools. Change over is pretty simple.

I got mine at an auction for $300. Used machines are usually a great deal.

Sounds like you plan to do small work, an older model 500 might be a better fit. It was designed specifically for small projects. The 520 (current model) has a lot more nice features, but at a higher price.

Most parts are compatible on all models, only a few are 520 only.

There is also a 505, 510 models inbetween the 500 and 520. They all share the same headstock and body. Mostly upgrades in table sizes and adjustments.

They have a partnership with Lowes. If you sign up on the Shopsmith site, they will email you when they are doing a demo at a store near you. I noticed they setup a Mark V 520 about a week before the demo. Lets just say, I pushed all the knobs, buttons, levers and wheels!

We are also lucky, we have one of the only east coast authorized shopsmith service centers in Raleigh. I took my headstock in for an overhaul. Spent the day there getting a total introduction to the tool.

I could go on and on and on and on...... but I'll stop here. Any specific questions I could answer for you?

Jim

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I'll chime in with a positive response, with some qualifiers. I used one of the original ShopSmith models for several years for my woodworking. I found it to be an excellent tool for many operations and a great space saver. If I had limited shop space I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. However, I think the biggest shortcoming is working larger pieces. Due to the smaller table size sheet stock and larger pieces are a challenge. If you are planing on building large items I would think twice about the ShopSmith. However, if most of your woodworking is breadbox size or smaller I think the ShopSmith is an excellent tool for limited spaces.

Anyay...... that's my $0.02 worth.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
The Shopsmith Service Center is run by James Hopp in Raleigh.

http://home.nc.rr.com/shopsmithrepairs/index.htm

I took my headstock to him for a complete overhaul. He also teaches classes/projects.

One thing that really impressed me, he asked if I wanted to watch the overhaul. You better believe I do! What a learning experience.

I spent a whole day there. Half on the overhaul, and half one-on-one training on the Shopsmith.

Thanks,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS