Thinking about a laser

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Specifically X Tool D1.

For those who have a laser, did you build a cabinet or how did you handle the smoke?

Echd

C
User
I uh, blow a fan towards it and don't stare at it. The nice thing about those styles of lasers is you can just bring them to the project rather than dealing with the hassles of an enclosure and engineering a pass through. While I've seen some snazzy enclosures, they seemed to be a bit of an annoyance for the uses I often found for my laser- although they are admittedly an improvement for safety. Being able to just plop the machine down on a finished tabletop or large project for lasering is super convenient.

May I ask why you chose the xtool d1? The majority of diode lasers are essentially the same chineseium- normally belt and v rollers on a 2020 extrusion frame driven by low power steppers. Which is fine, it gets the job done just dandy- it just looks to me like you're paying more for a slightly dressier appearance.

You probably know this but don't trust wattage numbers on any Chinese laser. The "true" equivalent of most of the "20 watt" diode lasers is around 4.5-5w. That said for burning that is perfectly sufficient. If you want a more powerful diode, jtech photonics will get you there, but it's big money- about $700 for the (true) 7 watt, and $1000 for the 14. To my mind it is sort of pointless as if I need that much power I'm in hobbyist c02 laser territory. I guess you can always burn a little faster with more power...

I have an Ortur laser master pro 2. I paid $300 or so for it. Good machine and good accuracy, I have no complaints and it is the same size as the Xtool you're looking at, just not quite as dressy.

Just be really cautious with it. It is potentially a very hazardous beam. Buy high quality laser safety goggles, don't trust whatever comes from china with the machine.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Thanks, I'm not set on an XTool, only based on rec's from 3 different people and reviews. One big factor seemed to be the rigidity of the frame.

There are so many out there its' hard to decide.

Do you use Lightburn? That's seems to be what's recommended.

I'm only looking to etch designs and cut through veneer, not anything over 1/4" thick.

Current price on your model Ortur is $429.00

Echd

C
User
I'm just not convinced ridgidity is really all that important for a (low power and relatively slow) diode laser. My LM Pro is a pretty well regarded machine and came true out of the box, but I assume like any other machine of the sort that as long as you assemble the frame right and tension the belts, other deviation can generally be solved with tuning the steppers instead. You're not going to be running a laser at super high speeds with one of the diodes. That's my opinion anyway. If you had a really sloppy frame and ran it super fast, maybe you could see some problems... but at the speeds a consumer diode laser works, I just don't think it matters within reason.

I do use lightburn. Very reasonable price, very easy to use. I bought a junker laptop off Ebay for well under $100 just to run my laser and it does just fine. I have never had any problems with lightburn that weren't my fault.

To add, you will be fine cutting veneers with the machine but I recommend finagling a way to add an air assist module- it will greatly increase your ability to cut. It really is mandatory if you don't want horrible burning and to make tons of passes. I use a cheap walmart aquarium pump and a 3d printer nozzle I drilled out, attached to a little bracket on my machine. If you aren't comfortable modeling one or building one there is likely a 3d printable model you can use out there.

Attachments

• 20210926_174936.jpg
    20210926_174936.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Echd

C
User
I'm not really sure how they would help with engraving. They are absolutely helpful for cutting. I don't have one but if I planned to do much cutting I would get one. I assume they would reduce burning. They're pretty much standard on other lasers more intended for cutting.

I guess any mesh or screen would do the same thing. I'd just make sure it was nonreflective.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS