Thinking about a gift, for me .

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ok selfish. Anyway, a birthday is coming up so an excuse (to the wife of course) in a new low angle block plane. I have been using a Sears with a Hock iron. Great iron, but it won't hold adjustment.

First inclination is the WoodRiver. Happy with their #4. Anyway, out of stock.
The Taylor may be decent, but not sure about the iron and the machining on the bed is much smaller. Well, it is half the price and a big step up from what I have.
That brings us to L-N and Veritas. Really a toss up as far as I can see. Any direct experience or comparisons? Price difference to the W-R is significant and would pay for another iron at least for the W-R to have a different angle.

Too many issues reported with the Sweetheart and BenchDog machining.

Difference in design between the thumbwheel and the lever cap. The two premium have the side screws to help maintain alignment.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I've heard/read from people that have used both Lie-Nielsen & Veritas block planes, their opinions largely boiled down to, "buy the one that looks better to you."

I bought two Veritas block planes (low-angle and apron) earlier this year because of the PM-V11 blade and set screws. I've been happy with decision, but I've never used a Lie-Nielsen block plane for comparison

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
Even though you didn’t mention it I’d throw the L-N 102 (the small brass one) into the ring as an option. i have 2 Stanley’s the same size at the 60-1/2 so I went with the 102 because of the smaller weight and size. Easy to keep in my apron. FWW did a pretty good comparison/break down on block planes recently as well. Worth taking a look.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
When I've heard/read from people that have used both Lie-Nielsen & Veritas block planes, their opinions largely boiled down to, "buy the one that looks better to you."

I bought two Veritas block planes (low-angle and apron) earlier this year because of the PM-V11 blade and set screws. I've been happy with decision, but I've never used a Lie-Nielsen block plane for comparison
Yea, I was reading their description of their PM-11. Brings the price up to match the LN. Both have the set screws. Doubt I can go wrong with either but for close to $200 ( delivered) splitting hairs is in order.

And yes, I have thought about an apron plane, but I have yet to find a comfortable apron. So I am forever chasing my pencils and marking knife. I just leave several all around. Same with tapes. I think I have 5 in my shop and yet, one is never in reach. Anyway, a L-A block is first.

Scott H

Scott
User
I have the Veritas low angle block plane with PM-V11 blade. I like it. Only had a few Stanleys prior to that so can't compare vs. L-N. Machining is very good as you would expect.

PM-V11 does seem to get sharp easily and is easy to sharpen. I don't doubt that it goes longer between sharpenings, but once I got it I realized it is not like I ever tracked that scientifically anyway.

I think the only thing I miss on it is that I wish it had a mouth adjustment lever. It only has the knob you tighten or loosen and then you slide the front part of the sole, so you have to be kind of careful adjusting it.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used both of the veritas and LN block planes and I like them both. I happen to own a LN and it has treated me well. I also own a couple of the PMV11 blades for replacement in older planes. They are great, however, you have to sharpen them on diamond stones. To me that's not a big deal for I made that switch a long time back.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I have a veritas and find it to be well made and easy to adjust. I am aware of how big it is compared to the older Stanley block planes. Depending on your hand size, you may find the veritas to be uncomfortable to hold for any length of time. You can get other handles to convert it to a small bench plane which would make it very versatile.
No experience with L-N planes.

Roy G

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
Yea, I was reading their description of their PM-11. Brings the price up to match the LN. Both have the set screws. Doubt I can go wrong with either but for close to $200 ( delivered) splitting hairs is in order.

And yes, I have thought about an apron plane, but I have yet to find a comfortable apron. So I am forever chasing my pencils and marking knife. I just leave several all around. Same with tapes. I think I have 5 in my shop and yet, one is never in reach. Anyway, a L-A block is first.

The 102 is a low angle block, just smaller. If I didn’t have 2 other bigger blocks I would have gotten the 60-1/2, but that’s just me. Don’t think you can go wrong with any of the ones you were talking about. Just hope the lead times don’t drag on. My LN was back ordered and they said it would be 3-4 weeks before they could ship. Less than a week later I got notification it was on the way. Good luck with making your pick!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
For the money the WR LA block is a good deal. I bought a 2 piece set years ago for 80 bucks.

That LN 102 brass one is very handy. I love it.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I've used both of the veritas and LN block planes and I like them both. I happen to own a LN and it has treated me well. I also own a couple of the PMV11 blades for replacement in older planes. They are great, however, you have to sharpen them on diamond stones. To me that's not a big deal for I made that switch a long time back.

Don't tell my water stones that they can't be used on PMV11 blades, it will upset them. The Veritas blades come flat enough that you don't need to flatten the back much and I have no problem with the cutting edge.

As for the plane, it may come down to the size of the hand. I love my LN and think it is worth every penny.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Got me thinking ( very dangerous). Indulge me as putting down thoughts helps me figure thigs out.

The LN 102 or Veritas apron plane. I wonder if one would be that much handier? An odd-ball that may have some utility is the BridgeCity. Tiny thing though but I see some use for a couple projects. Actually it gives me an idea to add guides to a standard block for thicknessing drawer dividers, ( major project needing 500 bins for cross-stitch thread) Maybe a smaller plane should be on my list.

Well, I have yet to find anyone who hates any of their LN planes.

LN 60 1/2 indeterminant back order/ 102 seems available
Veritas low angle seems to be available/ Apron plane, January.
Bridge City 9V2 is on sale for only $400. Not this time. :)
A step down but a big step up for me, WoodRiver indeterminant back order. ( but still a contender as their 2-plane kit is in stock) Sweetheart, Taytools, GarettWade, etc. a step down all with come small criticisms in precision. Sloppy adjusters, not square etc.
QuengScheng/Luban makes clones of unknown quality. They may be a sleeper. Clifton out of range. Don't think the fit for a Primus, though they have their following. Japanese planes take way too much learning curve.

Looks like if I want instant gratification, it is the Veritas low angle or the small LN 102. I have large hands and the biggest issue with my Sears is the iron moves, makes the Veritas the right fit.

Got to sleep on it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
It is said they are exact clones of L-N. Looks like direct IP theft as a couple sites list them as " not available for sale in your country" or they have an agreememnt with they WoodRiver brand. Shame as they make several patterns not available from WR or not made by LN.

Going to go play a bit in the shop. Leaning to both the Veritas and 102. Going to need a bigger plane shelf.

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
I have the 60-1/2 and recently added the 102. The adjustable mouth 60-1/2 is a great block plane. The 102 is smaller and easily carried in my apron and also works flawlessly. You won’t make a mistake with either.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the 60-1/2 and recently added the 102. The adjustable mouth 60-1/2 is a great block plane. The 102 is smaller and easily carried in my apron and also works flawlessly. You won’t make a mistake with either.
That's the problem. Several excellent choices. Unlike other things I go looking for where there is no excellent choice, or even mediocre. I did order a lighter apron as boy do I make a mess of my clothes in the shop. Just never got used to one. Bought a heavy leather one and just can't handle it. Heck, going to order a 102 and see if I can hold off until the 60 1/2 LN and WR are back in stock.

BKHam

Bradley
User
I have the wood river low angle block and i think it has all the features you'd want, comparable to the Veritas or LN. I have the standard angle Stanley and its bulky feeling, heavy, and has very sharp edges. I think you mentioned that is not an option.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I woudl have ordered a W-R right off if they were not on indefinite backorder. I have their #4 and am very happy with it. Finish is not quite LN, precision is. Waiting for an excuse to get their #5.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
WoodRiver/QuengSheng Luban planes are practically direct clones of Lie-Nielsen planes (LN planes are iterations on Stanley designs), but Lie-Nielsen's design patents had already expired when they came to market, so it's not IP theft, from a legal standpoint.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
WoodRiver/QuengSheng Luban planes are practically direct clones of Lie-Nielsen planes (LN planes are iterations on Stanley designs), but Lie-Nielsen's design patents had already expired when they came to market, so it's not IP theft, from a legal standpoint.
I wonder if they are the OEM foundry?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors