Thin Strips

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have some thin walnut strips left over from re-sawing. Want to use them but the thickness of each one varies. When I say varies, I mean on each piece. Any easy way to make them uniform enough to use?

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I've done this with a drum sander as well. If they are really thin or short, I will use two sided tape to hold them to a larger board so they can pass through the sander without being destroyed. Try to put all of them on the same board and run them together.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've done this with a drum sander as well. If they are really thin or short, I will use two sided tape to hold them to a larger board so they can pass through the sander without being destroyed. Try to put all of them on the same board and run them together.

If you're able to use this method, which I absolutely agree with, then try to use a piece of MDF. It's uniformly flat and consistent thickness.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
If you're able to use this method, which I absolutely agree with, then try to use a piece of MDF. It's uniformly flat and consistent thickness.
Good tip. If you glue some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper (sandy side up) to the carrier board, then you need not double side tape the strips. The sandpaper will grip the thin pieces.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I have some thin walnut strips left over from re-sawing. Want to use them but the thickness of each one varies. When I say varies, I mean on each piece. Any easy way to make them uniform enough to use?
I just finished sanding/planning hard maple and walnut strips down to 1/8". 32 walnut and 16 hard maple - both 36" long. I have a DW 735 and years ago I made a melamine outfeed table for it. I put cleats on it to fit each DW in and outfeed extension which holds it securely. After taking it on and off a few times I have ended up leaving it on full time as it gives me a longer in/outfeed and so far has not interfered with anything I want to plane. I seldom plane anything thick. I have no problems getting thin strips through but most of the time long strips - 12" or so is as short as I have done. It was worth it as it was easy to make and I have a permanent solution to something that comes up often such as edging plywood. I've put both through drum sander last (don't know if this is a universal problem but I have had shelix cutters for ~4 yrs and have never been able to adjust and get a smooth cut all the way across the width. Finally gave up and use the drum sander) with no problem but again they are long strips.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't have a drum sander. When faced with thin strips that needed to be tapered from center to both ends I built a vacuum taper jig that is fully adjustable. You could do the same and adjust it to make the strips the same thickness full length.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 11.43.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 11.43.11 AM.png

ssmith

New User
Scott
Very interesting. Is it faced with adhesive backed paper to aid friction? What do you use to generate the vacuum?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Very interesting. Is it faced with adhesive backed paper to aid friction? What do you use to generate the vacuum?
It is faced with soft rubber roofing membrane. There is a small shop vac on the floor behind the table saw. You can see the vacuum hose laying over the saws rip fence.
There is a 1/4 inch thick plywood base, two 1/4 inch bolts come up through that and the vacuum box sits on top with wing nuts over fender washers. The base of the box extends six inches for room to adjust. Slots allow for adjustment of the cut. The base is cut off even with the blade in the first cut. After that it acts as a ledge to support the piece being cut.

bainin

New User
bainin
Not sure what the final desired result is, but if you want them all uniform I would tape/hot glue them to a planar sled and send them thru together until you get the desired thickness.

b

ssmith

New User
Scott
@Mike Davis - really like that design. Aside from not wasting thin stock, it'd let me rip it safely, something I've been looking for a way to do. Thanks!

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Drill press drum sander - buy or make one.
Setup a fence at largest piece thickness minus a little. Push wood strip thru.
Keep moving fence closer and closer until all pieces are same thickness or desired thickness.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS