Thien Dust Separator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphie9

New User
Brian
Well you guys said you liked pics...and I have some time on my hands :gar-Bi

Here is my Thien Dust Collector...it's not quite done...in the paint booth (my unfinished basement!) today...let me know what you think, and I will have pics of it in action soon...
P1070632.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070633.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070636.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070637.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070646.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070647.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070650.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070648.JPG

View image in gallery

P1070652.JPG

View image in gallery

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=44189

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looking good. Looks like you had some help with the build.

I wonder if the center pipe might be a little too long on the inside. You may end up sucking some of the dust back out before it has a chance to spin and drop. It may not make a difference, since the dust should be sent to the outside of the barrel. Just a thought.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks good! A few questions... what was your fan/impeller sizing? Did you use Thien's recommendations for proportions/dimensions or alter them any? Any functional reason for painting it? This is next on my list after some bandsaw improvements, I have an old 4" intake Delta 50-179 trashcan collector that I want to baffle.

ralphie9

New User
Brian
Looking good. Looks like you had some help with the build.

I wonder if the center pipe might be a little too long on the inside. You may end up sucking some of the dust back out before it has a chance to spin and drop. It may not make a difference, since the dust should be sent to the outside of the barrel. Just a thought.

It may be, but I figured it'd be easier to cut more off than to add more on :widea:

ralphie9

New User
Brian
Looks good! A few questions... what was your fan/impeller sizing? Did you use Thien's recommendations for proportions/dimensions or alter them any? Any functional reason for painting it? This is next on my list after some bandsaw improvements, I have an old 4" intake Delta 50-179 trashcan collector that I want to baffle.

I didn't really follow Thien's proportions exactly...except for the degrees of baffle (120/240 and a 1.25" offset)...I am using a 6.5hp Ridgid shop vac so I made teh inlets 2.5" and the baffle pipes are 3"...we'll see how she works :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors