Thickness gauge for planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard

New User
Pat
I don't know who is subscribed to Shop Notes's woodworking tips by email, but I just read an email on setting up a dial indicator on your planer so you can set it to the precise depth you want your piece of wood to be planed to and when you reach that thickness, is will tell you.
It sounded interesting so I am going to try to post it for all to read.

"Dial Indicator Depth Gauge

Planing stock to an exact thickness usually involves a lot of trial and error (and measuring) to get it right. The problem is, the thickness scale on the planer just isn’t accurate enough to show how much material I have left to remove.
But I’ve come up with a simple dial indicator gauge that takes the guess work out of adjusting the planer. Now I can measure once and then dial in the perfect setting the first time. This saves me a lot of time, trouble, and frustration.
As you can see in the photo at right, the main part of the gauge consists of a dial indicator mounted to a hardwood block. The block has a rabbet on the back and a couple of screws and washers hold it firmly in place above the scale on the planer.

20060609sn.jpg

The second part of the gauge is a small, aluminum L-bracket fastened to the thickness indicator. It acts as a contact point for the dial indicator.
Here’s how the gauge works. Start by planing your stock slightly oversize in thickness. Then measure the stock with calipers or a tape measure, making note of how much material is left to plane off.
Next, without changing the cutting height of the planer, attach the gauge. Mount it so that the point of the dial indicator stays in contact with the L-bracket as the cutterhead (and thickness indicator) is lowered.
After setting the dial indicator to the amount that needs to be removed, as in the inset photo, lower the cutterhead, making several light cuts, until the dial indicator registers at “zero.” Now your stock is planed to perfect thickness.
Have a nice weekend,
Phil Huber
Online Editor, ShopNotes "

BTW, Here is the link for this and other tips.

http://weblog.augusthome.com/wwb/
I will try to do some research to find out where to find the gauge and will post it when I find it!

Last edited:

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Greybeard, Articles such as the one you refer to always catch my eye because I find them interesting. But I wonder, if this is any easier than using a caliper? That will give you measurements to the thousandths which is beyond what we need for wood.
Anyway, if you build this instrument, I would be interesting to hear of your experience. As I said before, it looks interesting.
Roy

woodguy1975

New User
John
I like the digital gauges for the planers. If you mounting is good then the accuracy is excellent and you aren't looking for how much material to remove. You are looking for the final thickness. I modified one and mounted it to my Yorkcraft 20" planer. The accuracy is repeatable to .001 with my hand held calipers.

John

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS