Rudy Ribbeck

New User
Rudy Ribbeck
I use Spanish cedar and western cedar for strip canoe building. Used to get it from Wurth but they are no longer interested in small business accounts. I also use ash, mahogany and bass wood.
I’ll put my two cents worth in for a south side of Charlotte location.

NYTransplant

Tim
Corporate Member
I'll vote for the south side as well. There's not much over here on the west side of the lake. Depending on the time of day, Hickory can be a more convenient trip for me than East Charlotte/Matthews.

I was spoiled when I lived in Greer, SC. Tidewater Lumber was less than a mile from my house ;-)

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm in for south / west side as well
Rudy - The canoe looks great, would like to see more of it

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
All great recommendations! We're 100% going to be open on Saturdays. Like you said, that's another tough spot of the Charlotte market...very limited weekend options when we actually have time. Also, our plan for weekdays is to stay open a little later so that people can swing by once they get off work. We don't know exactly which weekdays we'll be open to start, but will probably start off limited, and build up as we get our feet under us. So maybe a weekday or two...plus Saturday.

We'll keep you in the loop with our plywood options. Cherry, Walnut, bookmatched white oak are all on the table. We want to bring some variety that traditionally isn't available to the typical consumer like us.

Related to lumber, we'll probably lean towards 8 and 10 footers as the standard. Like you said, not everyone has a truck, so we need to accommodate that.
I really prefer 12' lengths---------------that gives more options for crosscut lengths, reducing waste.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Looking forward to the grand opening! The belt sander is an interesting idea. I’m sure your lumber will be kiln dried so does that mean y’all will offer kiln drying services as well?

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
All,

We are very close to launching a new business that will be focused on supplying high quality hardwoods, plywoods and related woodcraft products (glues, sandpaper, blades, finishes) in our local store/warehouse in Charlotte. We are centering our focus on wood enthusiasts and hobbyists like ourselves (retail customer), who currently struggle to find a reliable, quality source in Charlotte at fair prices. We will also serve local business customers who also have similar struggles.

On-site Milling services to include planning, jointing, ripping, cutting to length will be available.

Would welcome feedback from this community on what we should be carrying as we work to finalize our finial inventory listing.

What type hardwoods and sizes?

We are planning to carry dimensional Walnut, white oak, red oak, Cherry, hard maple, curly maple, ash, poplar, cedar, hickory, yellow pine, sapele, purpleheart, S.A. mahogany

Slabs in walnut, White oak, maple, Cherry

What quality and thickness?
We plan to carry F1F and Better. Typical thicknesses of 4/4, 8/4. Is there a strong preference for 5/4 , 6/4, or 12/4 for dimensional lumber?

All lumber we plan to have s2s but open to your reactions to that?

Any preferences on average board lengths?

What type plywoods, sizes, grades? Majority is planned to be A1 and B2. Interested in everyone’s thoughts.

If we had a 43-52 wide-belt sander available as a service- would there be interest in that for table top flattening, etc.

Very appreciative of any/all feedback, guidance and obviously your support when we open!
Glad to see you coming to Charlotte!
I have an on-line business (inlaybanding.com) and I use exotics, like yellowheart, redheart, ebony, holly as well as domestics. Are you planning on carrying any exotics?
Thanks for considering this. Matt…

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors