The wife recommended I buy a....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
dust collector! She was complaining about the sawdust being tracked in the house and asked how much one would cost. I could hardly contain my grin :-D I think she's right, especially after picking up this planer
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8752
over the weekend. Had a nice visit with Allan and his wife, good people. There was an echo in his basement shop it was so large 8-O

So, anyone want to make it easy on me and make a recommendation for my first dust collector?

Jeremy
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8752

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Buy once and get something you can add to as you buy more tools.

ClearVue seems to be the choice of late based on the fact that it was designed by Bill Pentz ( guru on dust collection). Pricey but so are doctor bills associated with lung problems. Check em out here

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/

Don't have one but wish I did......

Mike

4yanks

New User
Willie
I agree with the buy once strategy. Consider future needs in addition to your current ones. Remember if you go with a non-portable DC that you will also have to purchase ductwork. I have an Oneida Super Dust Gorrila and am happy with it. But I would be interested in the ClearVue also. I you get a portable I'd recommend a canister type filter in order to trap fine dust. I also recommend checking out Bill Pentz's site.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A second thought is to buy a blower and build the Wood Magazine Cyclone. With the proper bags, it is a good unit. Although it doesn't trap as many of fines in cyclone, with shaker bags it works well. In the last seven years I have had to vacumm out plentium under bags twice. Once was my fault, as I was running a moulding head, making some siding, and FORGOT to empty dust bin. I do have a full set of parts, as I used to teach classes on building them. Mine uses a plentiom under the dust collection bin. There are eight openings into plentium. Seven are for 6" X 65" socks, and the eighth is for 6" inlet pipe. Total unit size is 42" wide X 32" deep X 94" tall

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
bruce, any pics of that beast?
A digital camera is the next on my purchase list. I really need one so I can take pictures of problems on a roof/ under house and show customers what the problem is. Then I will have to learn how to use it??????

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, a pre-gloat with a referenced stealth gloat...great posting technique. (Nice job tracking in dust, I might add.) :lol: :lol:

Since you have recommendationss for a top-end and DIY, I'd offer that my Shopfox 2HP (same as Griz 2HP) with aftermarket bags from these guys http://www.processsys.com/ works quite well. It has plenty of suction/velocity and comes with two 4-inch ports. I run a flex hose to the TS, shared with the jointer, planer and ROS. I run the second hose to the BS, shared with the router and belt/disk sander.

Each machine is fitted with a port and I simply move the hose between machines as needed. NOT optimal but a workable solution that can be modified as funds allow. I intend to add overhead pipes one day with blast gates at each machine.

I use the trash can plastic lid cyclone and it is pretty doggone effective.

HF has their 2HP unit marked down to around 150 on occasion...not a bad deal.

Chuck

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably look at some 1 - 2 hp portables for now. I'd love to go the "buy once" route but then I would end up spending more on the DC than any other tool I have right now! :lol: That just wouldn't seem right!

DavidF

New User
David
Wow, a pre-gloat with a referenced stealth gloat...great posting technique. (Nice job tracking in dust, I might add.) :lol: :lol:

Since you have recommendationss for a top-end and DIY, I'd offer that my Shopfox 2HP (same as Griz 2HP) with aftermarket bags from these guys http://www.processsys.com/ works quite well. It has plenty of suction/velocity and comes with two 4-inch ports. I run a flex hose to the TS, shared with the jointer, planer and ROS. I run the second hose to the BS, shared with the router and belt/disk sander.

Each machine is fitted with a port and I simply move the hose between machines as needed. NOT optimal but a workable solution that can be modified as funds allow. I intend to add overhead pipes one day with blast gates at each machine.

I use the trash can plastic lid cyclone and it is pretty doggone effective.

HF has their 2HP unit marked down to around 150 on occasion...not a bad deal.

Chuck

I have the small Jet 650 CFM unit with a 10 ft "elephant trunk" that I move around and connect up using the Woodworkers supply "FazeLoc" system; very quick and easy. All my equipment is within a 10Ft radius so other than an extra minute connecting up I find it very efficient - and cheap!

M

McRabbet

But if the truth is to be told, you only get one set of lungs... I'm upgrading my system as soon as I have the cash from my current commission project even though I expect to spend about $1,500 to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS