The Week's Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I managed to complete a couple of things this week, pretty much out of the scrap bin.

Started a crosscut sled shortly after the inspiration from Mike Davis. One thing I tried that I will certainly use again are the Lee Valley Double T-track...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52400&cat=1,43455,52799

All I had to do was route a 3/4" dado and undercut it. Apply some epoxy and slide in the track.

Next on the "list" was a spice rack for my 2nd oldest daughter. Cobbled this one together from some scrap red oak. (Oh. And I went commercial on the walnut lettering from A.C. Moore:gar-La;. No where near proficient enough to cut them on the scroll saw!:eek:)

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/680/medium/109_0061.jpg

Wayne

Last edited:
T

toolferone

. (Oh. And I went commercial on the walnut lettering from A.C. Moore:gar-La;. No where near proficient enough to cut them on the scroll saw!:eek:)

Wayne

I saw those letters the other day. Kinda of expensive though.

Nice looking rack!! he he

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Nice sled and spice rack, Wayne! Looks like you are still using that red oak. Did you face glue to pieces for that back rail on the sled?

tv

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice sled and spice rack, Wayne! Looks like you are still using that red oak. Did you face glue to pieces for that back rail on the sled?

tv

That I did, Todd. Then trued it up on the planer and jointer. Downside??? It is heavy but it shouldn't move on me!:gar-La;

And. Yep. Still cuttin' away on Nicks fine red oak.

Thanks

Wayne

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I like the sled and spice rack. I have been thinking about building a spice rack for our house. Good Job:icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Gee, I haven't even started yet. I still can't decide what to build. Let me know how you like that one. It looks great! :icon_thum

The spice rack is nice. But I buy spices in one pound bags and store them in quart jars.

Guess I could scale it up? :rotflm:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, aren't you the busy beaver? (subtle jealousy intended) :mrgreen:
Nice job on both projects . . . one for yourself and one for the family :icon_thum
BTW, your crosscut sled puts mine to shame :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work Wayne. Would you mind describing how you fine tuned the cross cut sled? Thanks Alan

Alan,

If you mean aligning the front fence.

All I did was using a framing square, I aligned the rear fence to the plywood and secured it to the plywood with glue and about 6 2" screws. (Of course the runners are already attached and running smooth in the mitre slots.) I then fired up the saw and cut through the rear fence and about 2/3 of the way through the sled base. Then I took the front fence, aligned it with each side of the saw kerf (again using the framing square) and just put a screw in at each end of fence. Made a few test test runs on some 1x4 scrap and checked the cuts with my engineers square. (I loosened the appropriate screw (right or left) and tapped the fence a tiny bit, re tightened and proceeded with more test cuts on the 1x4.

I then took a piece of 1/4" hardboard, about 14" x 20" and made another cut. (At this point, I still haven't cut all the way through the front fence...but just barely. Wanted to leave a little wood there until I got it very close!) I then took the resulting pieces laid them out like a book, flipped one, butted to its mate to see if it made a clean 90. Success!

I then proceeded to drill and countersink for the rest of the front fence screws. Applied some wax to the screws and drove them in about 3/4ths of the way. I then squirted some Titebond glue in the space and drove the screws home. Now it was time for the final test! More test cuts with the 1x4 and hardboard and everything looked fine! (I have read that you still have a little time to make very small adjustments by loosening the screws and bumping the fence a little .....before the glue dries! I just let the glue set up and it is good to go!

After everything was set up, I proceeded to route a 3/4" dado for the T-track (using the front fence as a fence:wink_smil for stop blocks, hold downs etc.)

There are probably many, many other methods but I chose to take the easy way out and got lucky, I guess!:gar-Bi (Oh ya. I used a drafting triangle to check, just in case my framing square was a wee bit off.)

Hope this helps to explain the process that I used. (I can see that this sled will definitely be the go-to sled for crosscutting panels etc..)

Have fun!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice Wayne!

I haven't used the Lee Valley T-track. Does it take quarter inch bolts or is it something different?

woodhead

New User
Alan
Thanks Wayne! Yes, that explains it very well. I like those plastic drafting triangles too. Cheap and accurate. Oh, and thanks for reading my mind. I used poor wording in my question but you figured it out. :gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice Wayne!

I haven't used the Lee Valley T-track. Does it take quarter inch bolts or is it something different?

Travis,

The T-track will accept either the 5/16" Rockler TSlot bolts or the standard 1/4" toilet flange bolts.

(I am using both 5/16" bolts for the Rockler hold-downs and toilet flange bolts (recommended by Joe Scharle awhile ago:eusa_clap) for stop blocks.)

The Veritas Double T-Slot Track runs about $14.90 for 4'; while Rockler wants $18.99 for 4' (unless it is on sale):nah:. I really like not having to drill and countersink for T-nuts to fasten it down.:eusa_danc

Thanks for the feedback.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS