The sub conscious is a powerful motivator

teesquare

T
Senior User
I just returned from the San Juan Mtns. in northern New Mexico, but spent a couple of additional weeks touring some of the museums and pueblos in the state. Fascinated with history, and the ancient cultures there. And - while turning this piece - I swear...I never had a conscious thought about the trip. Yet...once I finished the piece - I stepped back and looked at it....clearly it is a contemporary wooden homage to an "Indian pot". Funny how the sub-conscious is such. powerful influence on our creativity sometimes...if we just let it happen. Hard for me, as a "concrete thinker". But happy that I just relaxed and made shavings.....
T

Attachments

• Indian Pot 1.jpeg
    Indian Pot 1.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 127

djvanduy

New User
Jason
A few years ago I had a lady looking to buy one of my cremation urns. She asked if I had any that were taller, she didn't like the ones that looked like onions. Since then, and considering shape alot more Ive started noticing everyday natural forms that seem to influence the shapes I make.

teesquare

T
Senior User
A few years ago I had a lady looking to buy one of my cremation urns. She asked if I had any that were taller, she didn't like the ones that looked like onions. Since then, and considering shape alot more Ive started noticing everyday natural forms that seem to influence the shapes I make.
When Started this one, I truly had no plan, or vision for what the finished product would be. But I normally rifle thru many books containing classic, eye pleasing designs - mostly pottery - before turning something. I agree with you that nature/natural shapes are strong influencers for me as well. Then again...there is one I am working on now that is all about "geometry"...;)

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
many times when I put a raw piece of wood on my lathe, I have no plan. Then as I begin to turn away the roughness, the piece begins to speak to me. it's amazing some times what comes out of an ugly piece of wood! Beautiful job by the way!

teesquare

T
Senior User
many times when I put a raw piece of wood on my lathe, I have no plan. Then as I begin to turn away the roughness, the piece begins to speak to me. it's amazing some times what comes out of an ugly piece of wood! Beautiful job by the way!
Thank you Michael. I ....I guess I am more given to "more technician - less artist" in my personality profile. As a left handed, color blind, dyslexic with a dose of ADHD....;) ... I tend to plan and draw the intended shape on a dry erase board that is on a wall at my lathe. But, this one - I didn't. I just sort of let my hands lead my brain instead of the other way around. That is very different for me, and I learned a valuable lesson/advancement in my journey: That sometimes - trying to control the outcome to a finite and pre-determined finished product....is "mechanical". It leaves no room for imagination, or flexibility in one's idea of approval of the final appearance.
In other words...I learned that sometimes...just let it happen.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
T, I feel your "artistically challenged" feeling! I'm an Electrical Engineer and it comes very hard for me to let the creativity just flow without a plan of some sort. But with turning, I've learned to just go with it and see what comes out! I've created some really nice pieces and some just ok pieces. The just ok pieces, some people really find fancy with and If they're someone close to me, I gift them! :)
Bottom line, just go with it and see what happens! It's just a piece of wood...right?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
That was a tough shape to do such a nice job of retaining the bark. Especially sanding as the fingers get really close to the turning bark edge on the inside

teesquare

T
Senior User
That was a tough shape to do such a nice job of retaining the bark. Especially sanding as the fingers get really close to the turning bark edge on the inside
Thank cyclo!
The rim is much thicker than the rest of the pot ( approx 1/4” to 3/8” nearing the bottom) but I wanted to leave enough of the bark to show it well. The irregular shape of the rim was a challenge and yep… sanding was difficult, with a couple of finger whacks thrown in for good measure.

gritz

New User
Robert
That piece is better than you are giving yourself credit for. It's simple and beautiful!

teesquare

T
Senior User
<blush>…. Well shoot thanks a bunch gritz. That was a good day of turning. But to maintain humility- I have a sign that says: "...Some days… the wood wins” ;)

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS